Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nishiki Japanese white pine

4 posters

Go down

Nishiki Japanese white pine Empty Nishiki Japanese white pine

Post  jamesregin Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello everyone, does anyone have a Nishiki Japanese five needle pine as bonsai. I bought a Japanese white pine from a bon Very Happy sai nursery , sold as Nishiki variety, which has very old looking bark on the trunk and branches. My research (google) has turned up very little info. My tree is grafted onto Japanese black pine rootstock. I believe the nursery owner when he says the variety is nishiki,  he is a bonsai professional who personally selects his trees from Japan,  and I believe he studied there. Does anyone know anything about this variety,  any difference in horticultural practices between this and other JWP.  Any responses would be very much appreciated.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Nishiki Japanese white pine Empty Re: Nishiki Japanese white pine

Post  Vance Wood Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:01 am

jamesregin wrote:Hello everyone, does anyone have a Nishiki Japanese five needle pine as bonsai. I bought a Japanese white pine from a bon Very Happy sai nursery , sold as Nishiki variety, which has very old looking bark on the trunk and branches. My research (google) has turned up very little info. My tree is grafted onto Japanese black pine rootstock. I believe the nursery owner when he says the variety is nishiki,  he is a bonsai professional who personally selects his trees from Japan,  and I believe he studied there. Does anyone know anything about this variety,  any difference in horticultural practices between this and other JWP.  Any responses would be very much appreciated.

I believe what he is referring to is something I have not seen anywhere except in the old Yuji Yoshimura book which was  Japanese White pine branches grafted onto a thick barked Nishiki Matsu Japanese Black Pine trunk.  The kind of bonsai that is interesting more for the novelty of it than its beauty as a  bonsai.  I understand that most of these Nishiki grafts are very fragile. When one takes in account that the Nishiki trunk has to be grafted onto regular Japanese Blake Pine and then the White Pine branches have to be grafted onto the Nishiki trunk you are talking about a tree where two separate grafts are likely to fail if the tree is not treated correctly.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:29 am

Can you post a picture of it please, James.   Most JWP sold in the UK are grafted on to Black Pine rootstock so you'd be fine just following the routine advice given for white pine.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59 am

There are several cultivars of Nishiki Japanese five-needle pine, also called Cork Bark Japanese five-needle pine. One common cultivar is 'Adatara'.

Also, there is a Wart Bark Japanese five-needle pine cultivar called 'Ibo-Kan'. This cultivar name is often misspelled in English. It has blueish needles and quite warty bark.

Good luck!

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:04 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:There are several cultivars of Nishiki Japanese five-needle pine, also called Cork Bark Japanese five-needle pine. One common cultivar is 'Adatara'.

Also, there is a Wart Bark Japanese five-needle pine cultivar called 'Ibo-Kan'. This cultivar name is often misspelled in English. It has blueish needles and quite warty bark.

Good luck!

Bill

So there is a cultivar of White Pine that has this kind of bark. Thanks for the information. I am assuming that it too is grafted?
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Yes, all the cultivars of Japanese five-needle pine must be grafted or air layered. However, 'Zuisho' can be successfully rooted, but its difficult.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm

William N. Valavanis wrote:Yes, all the cultivars of Japanese five-needle pine must be grafted or air layered. However, 'Zuisho' can be successfully rooted, but its difficult.

Thank you for the quick response.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Many thanks to everyone for your replies. I've been out with the family so didn't have time to check the forum until now. Mr wood the tree is grafted onto black pine rootstock, the branches are not grafted onto a black pine trunk.
Mr Valavanis I believe it is indeed a cultivar, but the needles are a soft green, not bluish, nice smallish needles-similar size to my ko ko no e. The bark is not warty-just really rough looking and tears very easily if branches are bent too far to quickly. I have been having problems posting pics but will try again now Many thanks.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm not sure what is going on but the photos are not appearing correctly, I'll try again one at a time.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Nishiki Japanese white pine 20140326

The tree after rough styling, the lowest branch is from another tree.
I'll try to upload some more pics.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Nishiki Japanese white pine 20140327

Not a massive tree, about 43cm tall after styling.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Base of the tree showing the graft
Nishiki Japanese white pine 20140328

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Nishiki Japanese white pine 20140329
Close up of the bark.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Nishiki Japanese white pine 20140330

Base of branch- no graft

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Nishiki Japanese white pine 20140220

After branch pruning, before styling.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Nice tree, kind of a good graft, however it is NOT the cultivar Nishiki. The bark on Nishiki is quite different than what you are showing. Perhaps your plant is 'Arakawa', which is the rough bark Japanese five-needle pine.

Perhaps you did not read my prior message correctly. The cultivar Ibo Kan has bluish needles and wart bark, not the Nishiki cultivar.\

William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesregin Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Mr Valavanis I think you are correct in that it may be ara kawa. Thanks a million for your help.

jamesregin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down