Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Display day

+3
Russell Coker
William N. Valavanis
chris
7 posters

Go down

Display day Empty Display day

Post  chris Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 am

Well its that funny time between Christmas and New year, but there was a very good enthusiastic
turn out even with the colder temperature's!!!!!
The object of the day was to run through displaying with the confines of a show environment in mind. The display area is always up in the workshop and it gives 6ft x 2ft table surface and a 5ft high back drop above the table, this is a little higher than most show back drops and is why we take our own along when we do a show.
First up was a fantastic trident maple of Gerwins
Different tables and slabs were used to give an idea of what would be best for the tree

Display day Dscf6249

Display day Dscf6250

Display day Dscf6251

The first two images show the tree with different tables, the first we agreed was to heavy, the second was better? The third image shows the tree displayed with a slab and a slightly bigger accent, this was thought to be a far better setting.
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Display day Empty Re: Display day

Post  chris Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 am

Next up was Jackie's chowin korean hornbeam.
The first table we tried for this tree seemed to fit it perfectly.

Display day Dscf6252

So it was now a case of playing with the accents, scrolls and thinking about the direction and flow of the tree to sit it within the space
Display day Dscf6253
Display day Dscf6254
Display day Dscf6255
Display day Dscf6256
Display day Dscf6257

Several combinations were then put together

Display day Dscf6258

Display day Dscf6259

Display day Dscf6260
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 am

Display day Dscf6310

Here is Lena's Larch group very early in its development as Bonsai but it has what will be its mature overall dimensions so it's a good exercise to see how it sits within the display area.
This is also a good example to show that you can use just the two elements ( scroll and tree ),
With an accent this would be to crowded.
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:14 am

Glen's Blackthorn, this is a very big tree that needs all the back drop!!
But what scroll is best with it?

Display day Dscf6311

Display day Dscf6312

Display day Dscf6313

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Nice trees and displays, I like your container and table selections.

An unsolicited design comment on your Korean hornbeam:
Great tree! But, that planting angle seems unbalanced to my eye. Try changing the angle as in this quick virtual.
It looks like a Trident maple to me.

Keep up the good work!

Bill

Display day 210
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi Bill and thanks for the fantastic input
Yes it is a Trident, I always seem to make a mistake at some point in a thread!!!
The planting angle was discussed and your virt will be a great help to Jackie

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks Bill, I was thinking the exact same thing! I kept tilting my head every time I saw a picture of this tree.   Much better (imho)!

(If you keep it at this angle I'd move to the left in the pot, shorten and reposition the branches on the left and let the right side grow out a little. What a great tree!)
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Lovely trees and I support some changes to the Trident. The current view sent my eyes looking away from the display. The Blackthorn is screaming "I want a scroll with a moon" IMHO... The large Trident looks fantastic with the Fuji scroll and the slab works best.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Russ and Hi Todd

Thanks for your reply

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Display day Empty TOKONOMA

Post  abcd Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

My advices for the first tree
Display day <a href=Display day Exhibi10" />
When you have an erect trunk, the kusamono must be smaller and a cascading or bending specie
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi abcd
Thanks for the reply
Your ideas are interesting can you tell me how you arrive at them

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:42 pm

hi chris,

looks like you had a great day.
I agree with abcd that a jita has a definite direction too, and a tree placed to the right as we look will only balance when the jita has a bit more wood exposed on the opposite side, pointing at the accent part of the display

the tree would look ok in a central position if there was no scroll or accent, but i think the scroll becomes a wasted element if the tree is put completely in front of it.

i think all the stands were a little small for the big trident, but the smaller trident looked well suited to its combo.

see you in Belgium soon,

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:01 pm

I see that this thread was started over a year ago about this time in anticipation of the new year. Like to see another by this IBC member for this year. (year of the ram/sheep ) 2015....
I really liked the red fuji scroll as being perfect for a new year's theme. The leafless tree also carried a strong message that winter is still in controll. Not much of a kusamono person for winter display. Thinking a nice hut stone would work better, but if I wanted kusamono for any reason, a nice dried grass would work perfect.
Am in the process of downsizing and getting a better tokonoma built for the new place. Meeting the 29th with a skilled cabinet maker to compare notes and estimates. Did get a bid from a skilled japanese carpenter using japanese elements but the bid was so far out of reality for my retirerment budget that I'm looking at a way to bring the cost down.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down