Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treating Grow Boxes

3 posters

Go down

Treating Grow Boxes Empty Treating Grow Boxes

Post  prestontolbert Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:07 am

I have been making some cedar grow boxes and flats for cuttings and I was wondering if anyone had experience with treatment for the elements. Normally for outside furniture I use linseed oil or urethane. Urethane is out, but I was wondering about various oils and how they might affect trees or cuttings.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Treating Grow Boxes Empty Re: Treating Grow Boxes

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

I've never added treatment to grow boxes; they're not "forever" pots, and you don't keep trees in them for long.

I HAVE used treated wood scraps for them, however, with no adverse results.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Torca Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi I also use wooden boxes to let my trees grow

I do not apply any treatment and they are useable during 3 or four yearsj ,waiting for the next repotting

They are generally too big for the tree, and are usefull to get it bigger

then I change them

I use also sopme wine bottles boxes or fichery boxes used to ship crabs

Torca
Torca

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks Jim-
I use treated timbers for my growing beds but I have always been nervous about treated wood for the boxes. I'm glad to hear you didn't have any problems with it. I've been using composite decking to make some boxes. My uncle built a new deck and gave me a barrel of 1 foot scraps that are perfect.

Torca- I have been using untreated pine, locust, and cedar(Juniperus virginiana) boxes for several years. The pine is cheap and fairly resinous, so it lasts well enough. The screws in the locust will rust out before the wood rots. (my grandfather put in locust fence posts in 1955 and they are still pretty solid) The cedar lasts very well outdoors, but I was hoping to make it last a little longer since the wood is harder to acquire.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down