Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

plastic storage boxes?

5 posters

Go down

plastic storage boxes?  Empty plastic storage boxes?

Post  marc74 Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 pm

I have been playing with ideas on growing a few things to let thicken up etc.

Originally trying to get wood or wooden boxes but i just wondered if these clear type of storage boxes could be used.

Put some holes in etc and fill up with soil and a plant then put behind my shed and let grown on for a few years.

Is this a bad idea? Would roots gain to much light when reach the edges etc?
Need some lining, or ok to use?

Thanks

marc74

Back to top Go down

plastic storage boxes?  Empty Re: plastic storage boxes?

Post  Forbes Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm not an expert, but I'm all for experimenting... I'd put some gravel in the bottom , and maybe a few very small holes just to let any un-needed water escape, so the roots don't sit in water. It wouldn't really bu much different than putting them in a pot, i wouldn't think... right? If you're worried about the roots getting too much light, wrap some duct tape around the bottom couple of inches, or hit it a can of spray paint. If they get water, light, and some fertilizer/nutrients, I think they would grow just fine.... my opinion, of course. Smile

Forbes

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Yup, works fine. I put between 8 and 20 1cm (~1/2 inch) holes in plastic containers, fromwashing-trays to torage boxes, whatever I can get my hands on chaeply, for newly dug plants. If you use it for growin-out, the shallower the better for nebari development

plastic storage boxes?  Kamper10
Lonicera in plastic storage container with holes from itself

plastic storage boxes?  Plants10
Several types of boxes for newly dug plants

plastic storage boxes?  Boven10
Growing out a fig in a 1inch deep tray
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  marc74 Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks, good point on being a shallow tray. I was thinking more big box but probably not the best idea. Thought bigger to help grow out more but then could be an issue with large roots

Main concern was clear plastic. If was an issue? But would be cheaper and easier to just buy a load of washing up bowls in black or similar etc

marc74

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Don't know about clear but if you set them on the ground the roots will probably escape. Then they really take off.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Will work just fine, Just punch drain holes. I use a bunch of different plastic containers, wash pans and bowls.

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down