Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antique versus Vintage? How Old?

5 posters

Go down

Antique versus Vintage? How Old? Empty Antique versus Vintage? How Old?

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Hello,
How old does a pot, tool, stand, scroll, etc. have to be to be considered vintage or antique? I would love to hear your thoughts about this. Thank you Very Happy 
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Antique versus Vintage? How Old? Empty Re: Antique versus Vintage? How Old?

Post  Orion Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Good question,

I look at it this way:

Vintage generally means that it can be attributed to a particular era or date in time.

Antique is a far more subjective term. To me it generally means that the particular item simply isn't made anymore.

Where the differences become apparent has to do with scarcity and rarity.

Anything can be scarce; there are simply a very few existing pieces, so it's an objective standard, but it doesn't mean that value is associated with it. For example, if I were to write my memoirs and have let's say 5 copies printed it would be an extremely scarce book, but does it have value?

Rarity is a different measure. Rarity implies that the item is desirable; that people want it. So, if you have something that is both scarce and rare it is reflected in its monetary and collectible value.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Generally, at least over here, "antique" is taken to be something collectible that is a minimum of 80 years old. "Vintage" tends to mean what Orion has said - pertaining to a particular era.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:09 am

Todd,

antique is over 100 years old, vintage is around 50 years old.
You see the word vintage used a great deal on Ebay.
Worth is another case.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:38 am

Thank you for your comments. My research toay shows that antiques are 80-100 years old or older, with the exception of carpets/rugs ... depending upon where you buy them ... "Vintage" is a word taken from the wine industry, but has common usages and it seems the "this" consensus identifies pre 1980's...
My interest for bonsai has to do with pots and stands. Do old pots and stands have to be at least 80 (or 100) years old before they can be called "antique pot", or "antique stand"?
Thank you.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:27 am

Todd,

look more at the quality of the work on the object and less at it's age.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Khaimraj, For my personal items, I am more interested in how they look, versus the age. However, if I sell things, I want to advertise them correctly and with attention to how other vendors do business. Thanks Very Happy 
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

I suspect that "antique" means . . . antique. If you advertise something as "antique" you'd better be able to demonstrate that it is 80 to 100 years old. , If I were you, I don't think I'd use either term in relation to a bonsai pot. "Old pot with (insert adjective) patina" might be best.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down