Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground.

4 posters

Go down

Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground. Empty Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground.

Post  PeacefulAres Sat May 11, 2013 2:00 am

I suppose this subject may fall into the category of everyone having their own opinion. On the other hand, there are many posters on this forum who have a very solid understanding of horticulture, so I thought it might be worth asking. Lets say that you have a small tree that you wish to increase in size and thickness. The three options I mentioned seem to have their individual pros and cons. I have a decent amount of land at my disposal to grow little trees into bigger trees, but the method is something that interests me. For aesthetics and ease of weeding. mowing the yards, I think I'd rather have raised beds than a section of land where trees are simply planted in the ground. But I'm not sure if this would provide the same growth benefits as planting them straight in the ground. What about planting them in colanders/pond baskets within the ground? In addition to growing out seedlings and small tress from the garden center, would this be best method for obtaining growth on collected trees that have good trunks?

I'd really like to read your opinions.

Last edited by PeacefulAres on Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground. Empty Re: Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground.

Post  drgonzo Sat May 11, 2013 2:21 am

This year I have dedicated a second raised bed to pre-bonsai and seedlings as I have found their use in growing just about anything to be excellent. Just gotta keep 'em watered!

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground. Empty Re: Obtaining the best growth: pond baskets, raised beds and the ground.

Post  PeacefulAres Sat May 11, 2013 2:48 am

drgonzo wrote:This year I have dedicated a second raised bed to pre-bonsai and seedlings as I have found their use in growing just about anything to be excellent. Just gotta keep 'em watered!

-Jay

What have you filled your bed with? Where I live, the soil is basically just sand for about 2 feet, then you hit a mixture of sand and yellow clay. I dug down until I hit the clay/sand mixture and then filed in the rest of the bed with all of my fines, a couple bags of cat litter, some cow manure compost. It seems to be doing pretty well in the one bed I have.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat May 11, 2013 2:52 am

My beds are 50/50 sifted loam and mushroom compost, they worked so well for all my garden veggies that I started planting the pre-bonsai in them last year. The trees did so well I gave them another raised bed for this year.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sat May 11, 2013 5:01 am

That sounds interesting. How often do you find you need to water?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat May 11, 2013 10:17 am

Ah you have discovered the magic of growing troughs [ raised beds within a concrete structure.]
Have fun.
Later.
Khaimraj

* You can get a stool, sit and work your trees in comfort.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  PeacefulAres Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 am

Do either of you plant your trees on tile/stones, or do you simply make sure that the root spread is fairly flat and then just bury them?
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 am

PeacefulAres,

if the tree exhibits raised roots in nature, I can use a clay tile in the colander.
Later.
Khaimraj

* You can also use those larger plastic fly blockers often sold in Chinese or Indian stores, just turn it over. You know the ones you can place over food.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 pm

PeacefulAres wrote:Do either of you plant your trees on tile/stones, or do you simply make sure that the root spread is fairly flat and then just bury them?

I put trees with a tap root, on top of a piece of slate, in the ground. Trees with an adventitious roots I dont worry about.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down