Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raised Beds

+5
GašperG
fiona
Billy M. Rhodes
JimLewis
chadley999
9 posters

Go down

Raised Beds Empty Raised Beds

Post  chadley999 Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 pm

I want to make a raised bed to use to thicken up some of my trees. But i want to be as cost affective as possible or free. Wanted to know what peoples thoughts were of using old tires filled with soil maybe one or two high and put one tree in each. Is this safe or could it possibly kill any of my trees. and what soil should i use in my bed, should it be topsoil and compost mixed together or should i also add in some aerating medium? Thanks for any help.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Raised Beds Empty Re: Raised Beds

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Sounds to me to be a decent use for old tires.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:20 pm

If soil gets into the sides of the tire and roots grow there, which will happen, it will make it more difficult to recover the plants without damage to the roots.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I was thinking about that, any ideas on a work around??

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 pm

How about running a tube of tar paper down the middle?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Genius +1. i was also thinking maybe fill the edges with gravel or some other loose material

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Using old tyres to grow potatoes was a big fad over here a decade ago and is still practised in many allotments. There's certainly no shortage of "raw material" around here. Mad But back to the issue with the roots growing into the sides; why not stuff the sides with old newspapers and that way you not only sort out the root problem but you also get a wee bit extra insulation. As far as I'm aware there's nothing toxic in newsprint any more.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 pm

fiona wrote:why not stuff the sides with old newspapers and that way you not only sort out the root problem but you also get a wee bit extra insulation.

I would say that is the most eco solution and insulation is always welcome, but wouldn't paper desintegrate after awhile (rain and watering making it softer) and roots would still get inside the tire? - just thinking ... not so eco would be injecting poliuretan foam (not overdoing it) just to fill the space inside. ... but I would not do that - keeping it simple and at the end I would still want to cut the tire (not so many roots should be affected) and unwrap the rootball...paper or no paper - that is the way I would go.

Best...
Gašper

GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  ironhorse Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Cut through one side of the tyre before use - then if roots spread throughout it will be easier to open the whole thing out to transplant.

Dave

ironhorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 am

Why not just plan to cut off the roots that grow into the tire when you lift the tree? For that matter, use it as a guide for annual or semi-annual root pruning. If you do a very good job and cut a smooth circle you should be able to rotate the tree in the hole. Laughing

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 am

I agree with Marty I wouldn't be concerned with roots going into the side. They'll be cut off later anyhow.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:53 am

Chad, growing in raised beds is a two headed coin. One side for concentrated growth and the other for harvesting. If you are only growing one or two trees it probably doesn't make a difference what you use. But, if you are growing several, labor is a consideration. Fence boards 1"x6" is very economical and easy to harvest afterward. Four screws to take apart and the rootball is raised for undercutting and lifting. Just a thought, I do hundreds a year.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 pm

GaryWood wrote:Chad, growing in raised beds is a two headed coin. One side for concentrated growth and the other for harvesting. If you are only growing one or two trees it probably doesn't make a difference what you use. But, if you are growing several, labor is a consideration. Fence boards 1"x6" is very economical and easy to harvest afterward. Four screws to take apart and the rootball is raised for undercutting and lifting. Just a thought, I do hundreds a year.
Wood

Thanks for the insight. I will take this into consideration for sure. Would you recommend treated lumber or not? Any idea on what medium i should go with in the bed?

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Chad, it really doesn't matter on the lumber, I've used treated and untreated. As for soil, my preference is a high percentage of pumice, lava or perlite to ensure good aeration. Along with this kind of mix watering is a must.
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks!

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content