Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New literati pot

3 posters

Go down

New literati pot Empty New literati pot

Post  bonsaipotter Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Some time ago someone suggested that my pots would have more appeal if I glazed the feet as well. I notice that some potters do so, sometimes, others stain the feet and some do not, or perhaps it just depends on the pot if not the colour of the mature clay body. With the buff colour of my clay I continue mostly to not glaze the feet but there are exceptions.
To make a glazed pot for a conifer is a bit counter conventional and I've been working up some glazes to simulate the colour of a high quality unglazed pot but offer the surface finish and durability of the glazed surface. To complete the simulation the feet need to be glazed too and for this pot that is what I've done. It's a literati pot of 304mm diameter (about 12 inches) commissioned for a literati pine.

New literati pot P1180711

Any further thoughts on glazing feet?
And do you think this pot works for a pine literati?

cheers,
Happy Potter
http://bonsaipotterycoy.blogspot.com.au

bonsaipotter

Back to top Go down

New literati pot Empty Re: New literati pot

Post  Todd Ellis Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I like your pot. I would love to see it with the pine!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo Tue May 14, 2013 7:31 am

so how did you fire it, without the glaze fusing to the bottom of your kiln?

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaipotter Wed May 22, 2013 2:04 am

Hi Bob,
The glaze doesn't move when fired so with a careful 45 degree wipe of the feet just at the forward contact edge you can overcome any chance of fusion to the shelf. If you weren't sure about your glaze you could always fire on a sacraficial flat piece of bisque and then if it fuses cut it off with a diamond blade - the sort of the thing the crystal growth glaze potters do.
Cheers,
Steve

bonsaipotter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down