Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tokonoma progression

+3
Andre Beaurain
JudyB
dick benbow
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

tokonoma progression - Page 2 Empty Re: tokonoma progression

Post  stonener Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Great questions Dick, Thanks!
Cranes mate in winter, seasonal
Mountain top on scroll has snow? seasonal
Camellias bloom in winter, seasonal
IMHO stonener
*same placements, scroll & jiita, added cranes perfect, switch tables*
** longevity**

tokonoma progression - Page 2 Table110

red flower on scroll is Amaryllis, your camellia sasanqua "lutchuensis" fragrant?

Last edited by stonener on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : +)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Checked the camellia, no fragrance Sad
Thanks for your input. Off here in a short while to set up class for 5 students who will have 4 hrs of instruction with our visiting speaker for the club meeting tonight. Be tuesday for I get back to our chatline Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Le's see where did we leave off? here is a spruce as bonsai, maintain the craines, switch the display table for the bonsai and put a placid lake and mountain scene to set the stage in the scroll. How'd we do?tokonoma progression - Page 2 Img_2839tokonoma progression - Page 2 Img_2840tokonoma progression - Page 2 Img_2841
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi Dick

Your display does look nice....buuut....trees are displayed two times...the bonsai, and on the scroll... It will be better if you have a scroll, with only the mountain Smile

I give you the prize, for being IBC' actionman Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 pm

and i give you the prize for willingness to lend a hand. thank-you. My enthusiasm, I think, is being hampered by lack of decades of collection of needed items for display. So while i concurr with your assessment, I am lacking with replacement material. I think this is where a good sunrise/sunset, moon rise, lake scene could have multiple uses. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:58 am

Perfect example of how a season can quickly be changed Dick!
If now using these items, use 1st mountain scroll, no other trees!
Ms Yvonne observation right on, repetitious, a no!no!, that's a rule.
also IMHO the rectangle formal jiita is a bit much, because of all the rectangles there already, doors, draws etc.
long natural one used before can be better appreciated if you cover wood shelf temporarily with green construction paper.
Now green bamboo will look nicer with ceder and scroll weight tassels, all tie in.
If you add black construction paper temporarily to inside frame area of table top,
it will tie in with black edge of the natural jiita, scroll ink, weights and table top?... Basketball
stonener
tokonoma progression - Page 2 Img_2810
*offered as expert on nothing*

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 am

dick benbow wrote: Le's see where did we leave off? here is a spruce as bonsai, maintain the craines, switch the display table for the bonsai and put a placid lake and mountain scene to set the stage in the scroll. How'd we do?tokonoma progression - Page 2 Img_2839

Very Very Nice.... in fact its perfect!

Dont know about the rules, but why the hell not! The scroll with the trees behind links the bonsai to the mountain....all standing in the same forest.

Why can we not bend the rules. I'm mean isnt scrolls suppose to be in monotones anyway?

Me thinks the green in the scroll picks up the green of the your stunning tree very very nicely!

The red carpet.... tokonoma progression - Page 2 582674

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:35 am

Hi Andre and dick

The reason why the tree is not shown two times...is because the bonsai is of the same kind of the ones painted, and is supposed to be the tree at the foot of the mountain, but as it already has been painted does it not give sense to show it again...the stand should now show something that represent something in the valley or lake below.

I have learned not to buy theese paintings if they have both a mountain and trees at the same time, as non of theese will be of any use for suiseki or bonsai.....mountains alone...trees alone...it is possible to mix colse to anything else.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 am

Dearest Yvonne

I hear you, and I do understand it. Ecpecially if you enter a show or exibit, then I do agree that we should stick by the rules. And its good that someone also points out the mistakes.

But at home one can do whatever is visually pleasing to you. Which I realize on this Forum is VAST..... Laughing, tastes, that is.

I mean, if you show this display of Dick, to anyone with has NO knowledge of the Eastern arts. They will probably think...nice display...Great tree!!.....they wouldnt know that the coloured Scroll is actually wrong......they will see the green of the bamboo toko bashira, matching the tussels and the green in the scroll....all the greens are complimented by the complimentary colour opposite on the colour wheel...Red, which grounds all of this. The greens also forms a perfect triangle.

I think we should crit displays at home first for visual impact and then harmony.... But in saying that, it IS nice to learn the proper rules.....

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 am

Nice display Dick!

I like the composition and placement!

The positioning of the two cranes on the jiita seem a bit too symmetrical for my taste.

Why don't you take the photos of your tokonoma from a lower angle so the true beauty of your bonsai can be appreciated. From this angle the scroll painting jumps out too much. Just sit down in a chair and take the photo.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Maliea Chiem Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 pm

I enjoy reading this thread &, the adjustments made.
I'm in envy of your toko!!! Until I buy a home, ill have to make do w/ a table-top display Sad
I really like the scroll & the warm, rose tone.
Kudos to your patience & endurance to improve! Patience is NOT a quality of mine, as my husband quipped when I 1st began my interest in bonsai. I like how Frank Okamura put it when asked about the time one puts into bonsai, "Patience is what you need when you don't like what you're doing" I 2nd that!!!
I'm just a novice but, I like the bamboo. Much improvement from the 1st photo! Have you found other stand options? I'd love to see more photos! I'm intrested in how ppl in Westetn homes are displaying thier trees & how/why they choose certain positions/colors/stamds etc
Thanks for sharing your lovely toko! Hope you are enjoying Spring. How lucky you ate to receive advice from Bill!!!

Maliea Chiem

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm

If anyone is really interested in bonsai display, attend the International Bonsai Colloquium. On Friday, June 7th, seven artists will each display the same bonsai, but with different tables, scrolls, etc, while the other six artists are out of the room. Should be quite interesting and I bet most display very similar.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Maliea Chiem Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I'd really like to see this experiment!!!
But, I'm only attending Saturday ;(
VERY excited though!!

Maliea Chiem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2