Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tokonoma progression

+3
Andre Beaurain
JudyB
dick benbow
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

tokonoma progression Empty tokonoma progression

Post  dick benbow Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Slowly but surely, I've been advancing the look of my tokonoma in the house. Recently i added a shelf off to the left to expand the ability to display a third item.
I'm kinda in a quandry because the post on the right should be wood. If I go exactly to japan standards I can go with square for formal or a round post for informal. So I found a non traditional ( but i like the looks) grove of timber bamboo and got permission to cut one. Bamboo is not used in Japan for this purpose yet I like the looks of it.
If you were doing this and all entralled with display, would you make something you enjoy or would you get something more proper. comments appreciated.tokonoma progression Img_2827tokonoma progression Img_2828
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

tokonoma progression Empty Re: tokonoma progression

Post  JudyB Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Dick,
I do like the post, I think that bamboo is a nice idea. I wonder if you could get a brown one, or perhaps this one will slowly turn brown as it ages. That's the only thing that looks off to my eye. (course I'm no expert, just know what I like).
I also wonder if you could take three bamboo pieces and bundle them together with jute or something. I know that there are ceremonial towers that are built this way in Japan, and it could be interesting.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm

thanks for your thoughts Smile

I'd be pretty sure the green will slowly cure to a light yellowish beige.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 am

Dick, Me thinks this is definitely an improvement.
I also like the green, .."one does need a little hint of colour.." Smile

Tokonoma has always been a little too monotone for me.... I know, I know that that Is the idea, but really, we do have more colour in our lives these days, for we dont have to run into the forest to hunt for cochoneal so that we can mix the colour Carmine..

I was just wondering if the top of the Bamboo pole can slide behind the bulkhead, instead of sitting on top., and ending in the middle of it?

I also like your table, it looks antique and Simple in design.... like pieces from the Arts and Crafts movement , can we see a closeup?

Love and light
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:41 am

Dick,

I like your tokonoma especially the fresh green bamboo! The top positioning could use a bit of adjustment, looks funny not going to the top.

Also, the color is too monotone. Perhaps getting a piece of dark blue or other color felt and putting it on the floor of the tokonoma? You could change it seasonally. Or, you could get some floor laminating which is easy to install and simply put a new floor on the bottom, as long as it's a different color.

Just a few ideas.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Thank-you Andre Smile

and Thank-you Bill! BTW your magazine came yesterday and already i have it initially read.Appreciate your help on the boards and for putting out such a good magazine.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 am

Not wanting to be accused of having grass grow under my feet,( when offered some great suggestions) I trimmed up the bamboo even with the wood trim and colored up the floor of the toko.

The bonsai is a dwarf camellia in bloom. blooms about the diameter of a 25 cent piece.
tokonoma progression Img_2829tokonoma progression Img_2830
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:32 am

Looks much better in my personal opinion. I like the red color contrast with the white flowers.

Now, move the scroll to the right even with the left edge of the table, then move the table/Camellia to the right. This might be in better balance in relationship to the tokonoma space.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 am

your the best, thank-you Bill Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:52 am

tokonoma progression Img_2831
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:53 am

Better, but a bit more to the right please.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:02 am

tokonoma progression Img_2832

Your patience apprciated as i sincerely want to grasp what your teaching me Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:06 am

Better Dick,
Almost there.. Try this:

Scroll position looks good to me. The right edge of the scroll should NOT line up with the left edge of the display table.

Position the display table equally between the right edge of the scroll and the green tokobashira.

Not to be too picky, but the display table is too tall for this situation. Try a lower table. Then you will need to lower the scroll. Sorry, but I'm picky...

Bill

PS: also move the statue on the left a bit. Center it in the area and a smaller jiita would be better.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 am

Sorry, A little late with the reply, dinner got served Smile

A very grateful to get this type of personal attention, thank-you!tokonoma progression Img_2833
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 am

Much better!

I can now appreciate the beauty of your Camellia bonsai. Good job!
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Nice job, and I've enjoyed the back-and-forth. But . . . Isn't the tabletop just a tad too small for the bonsai?

BTW, the tokonoma pics in International Bonsai are one of my favorite parts -- even though I don't have one in my house. So thanks.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey, jim...thanks for your input.Smile

One of the things I 'm finding out in my pursuit of display, is there is never enough tables ( size color shape) to match perfectly with every situation. Kinda like opening up my extensive pot collection, looking for the perfect pot for my new aquisition. It never seems to be there.

My biggest challenge lately has been to find storage space for all the jittas, figures, tables, etc etc etc.

I quess new challenges keep you young. Smile

I really can't thank Bill enough for patient, and quideing on the topic.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi Dick

I like how you tokoname ended up Smile, the table is the right sice for the pot, and the tokoname IMHO.

Still i find the collor of the wallpaper a little to dark ( slightly depressing)

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 pm

would dread the thought of replacing all that covering Smile But always appreciate the input. It truely does take a villiage.

Kind of reminds me of my mountain climbing days of youth. rather than push on to the summit, there were times i hung out to build strength for later. I think for now I may just Hang out for awhile Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Take a break

But if you like me think, it is a bit too dark, is it possible to just paint the wallpaper, as the wallpaper has a nice surface, and I would want to keep it.

Kind regards Yvonne...the bamboo is nice

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 am

my 2 cents worth!
IMHO try... Basketball

tokonoma progression Cranes12 and tokonoma progression Table10

*to complete "Winter" season suggestion*

Last edited by stonener on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : +)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Always open to siggestions and better yet, the thinking behind them. Why would you use craines? does it suggest
the end of courtship ( tanchos in japan, sandhill's here in washington state). what scroll scene would you use? Are you suggesting the craine fiures as tenpai to be featured to the left display bench of the main tokonoma? If so what bonsai would you select to go with them? A willow, because of water, which both would have in common?
Would the scroll have a sense of season? Much of display is anticipation, and with winter trying to hang on in many parts of the country what might be pictured. or could we go with a flowering kusamono and skip the scroll?

I sincerely do appreciate suggestions and I don't often get as many as i would like, hence my questions. Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:46 pm

So here is what I see in your suggestion. craines as tenpai getting ready to nest with spring. flowers blooming and even a butterfly has appeared as a harbinger of spring. My willow is not leafed out yet so am at a loss for a bonsai? Suggestions anyone?
tokonoma progression Img_2836tokonoma progression Img_2837tokonoma progression Img_2838
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Dick

I would use this picture in the other side of the display....but it can be used to the side you decided.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 pm

This flower (in the scroll) to me evokes more of a summer feeling. It appears to be a daylilly maybe? And in this part of the country, we don't see butterflies until very late spring/summer. Perhaps do you have a scroll with snowdrops, or crocus?
Please don't think I'm criticizing... I know nothing about display, just my uneducated opinions.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next