Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical

3 posters

Go down

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Empty Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical

Post  timahlen Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 pm

I grew two of these from seed collected on Oahu. Can anyone help identify them?

[img]Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 2013-014[/img]

[img]Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 2013-015[/img]

[img]Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 2013-016[/img]

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Empty Re: Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical

Post  andretoledo Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi

Here in Brazil we call this tree "paineira", the scientific name is Ceiba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba), but I can't say what sub specie it is. I hope it helps.
andretoledo
andretoledo

Back to top Go down

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Empty Re: Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical

Post  andretoledo Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

This is a adult tree
Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 860075-185678-1280

The flower
Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 1331604070_328597787_1-Fotos-de--Mudas-de-Paineira-Rosa

I am working on a bonsai of this specie, it is very vigorous, grows really fast even in a pot, in a bonsai pot you may need to prune the roots once a year at list, you can cut lots of the roots because it grows really fast. Root prune may be done in the end of the winter.

This is my paineira.
Photo 1
Photo 2

This species likes hot weather, do not use peat in bonsai soil, this specie doesn't like it, as more organic is the soil more thorn it will produce.
andretoledo
andretoledo

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Timahlen,

Yes it does appear to be Bombax Ceiba, which is known in Jamaica as the 'Cotton tree'. Here is some info on the species http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombax_ceiba

I will try to post some pics of some of our local specimen.

Andre,

Could you share some information on the history and development of your ceiba in training?

Regards,
Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  andretoledo Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Nigel

Cotton tree is a comom name here in Brazil too, because of the cotton on seeds that take it trough the wind.

This particular tree I have about a year, a friend of mine gave it to me, this is a photo of it when it arrived to me.

http://bonsai.andretoledo.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/paineira01.jpg

I have another tree that I am growing from seed, but that one will be a normal tree.

That tree gave fruit on autumn and sleeps on winter, in the last month of winter is the best time to do radical intervention, you can stump it drastically and it will develop new shoots from the trunk.

I have no much expirience yet, I'm following the instructions of a friend that works on ceibas as bonsai about 20 years, his name is João Chaddad and he participates on this forum. Any question you may have we'll be happy to help.
andretoledo
andretoledo

Back to top Go down

Post  timahlen Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks for the help guys! That is indeed what I've got. While we were visiting Foster Botanical Garden in Oahu, there were just hundreds of cotton puffs floating around, each containing a seed. So, I picked a few up off of the parking lot and brought them home without identifying the tree they came from. Two of the seeds sprouted and now each one stands about 25 cm tall, and 1 cm in diameter. Not bad for its first three months! Of course, I have kept it in the heated greenhouse all winter, and discovered it to be a favorite of scale insects.

Thank you for the growing tips. I will post periodic updates as my "ceiba sticks" begin to look like trees.

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Post  andretoledo Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 am

This is the mother tree
Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 429617_10151471193808851_2093389495_n

this is the leaf of my ceiba
Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 537569_10151471193853851_2049409322_n

this is my ceiba about 8 to 10 months of growing
Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical 481329_10151471193943851_777750888_n
andretoledo
andretoledo

Back to top Go down

Post  timahlen Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:33 am

Andre,

The photo of your "pre-bonsai" show some natural taper that is very encouraging as far as bonsai potential is concerned. The very straight trunk and rapid growth suggests that formal upright may be a preferred style for this tree. I think the big issue will be leaf reduction and managing the growth to keep internodes short.

I have read that this species can be an "emergent" tree in the rainforest that rises majestically above the canopy. Have you (or anyone else out there) ever tried to do a rain forest planting that evokes that kind of imagery?

Tim

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Post  andretoledo Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 am

Trees of this family have a lot of comum names here, another one é big belly tree, because of this taper, took at this photos...

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical DSC00435

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical PaineiraRosa2

I have already seen Wu (http://www.bonsaiwu.com.ar/) grafting the top of a ceiba in a bottom of the same tree, throwing out the section of the trunk between the two parts, I found the page where I saw it but the link to images are broken so I can't show it, but it is possible to be done.

Up right is not the only style do with this specie, I'm doing one bended, here is a photo of it.
http://bonsai.andretoledo.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/paineira03.jpg

Here is some ceibas from my friend João Chaddad
Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Paineira-1-3

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Paineira-cascata2

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Paineira-velha11

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Ceiba-erianthos5

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Ceiba-speciosa21

Need Help Identifying This Hawaiian Tropical Paineira-cascata31
andretoledo
andretoledo

Back to top Go down

Post  timahlen Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:06 am

Very cool! Thanks for expanding my vision for this kind of tree!

timahlen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down