Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips

3 posters

Go down

Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips Empty Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips

Post  I Cut too much Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:10 am

My gardenia was doing great, then very quickly the leaves started to get brown spots,mostly the tips, but sometimes the middle too. Even the tips of the buds have it. The most alarming thing is the white
Fuzzy mold that just started growing on the soil near the trunk. This all
Appeared after I had placed the tree over a bed of rocks on a humidity tray. Everywhere on the Internet says to keep this type moist and humid. But upon further research I noticed this line of thought differs. Some folks think they need to dry out some on the top soil before watering again.

What I have been doing to try remedies: fungicide with waterings (no improvement), garlic powder(didn't do anything but stink up the house), and finally coffee grounds (I thought maybe it needed more acid, the leaves turned a nice dark green but did not stop browning nor did it stop mold)

I ordered this from Brussels nursery, it is in the same soil. Looks like potting mix and some grit. Is it over watering? Because I've laid off the water frequency and it has slowed, but not gone.

I Cut too much

Back to top Go down

Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips Empty Re: Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips

Post  fiona Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:21 am

I can't comment on your gardenia as I have never seen it and I don't live in your climate zone, but I can share my own experience.

I live in a wet West of Scotland climate and although we do get harsh winters, this current one has not been too bad at all - only a few nights below 0C. I got my gardenia last February and it had a lot of growth on it then and over the summer. I brought it indoors to a cool but sunny location in November. Throughout November and December many of its leaves started yellowing and eventually dropping off. I gave it a bit of a trim back at this point because I noticed there was a lot if new growth coming through but the older twigs were stopping light getting in. I have kept it moist (but not soaked) all of the time and I give it a weak feed every two weeks. This seems to be working as the yellowing has now tailed off and the new growth is starting to show a bit of vigour. It has also popped out two fruit/flower buds in the past two weeks.

I suspect gardenia do better in a fixed temperature instead of the fluctuations we get here (I don't know if you have similar in Oregon) I think mine just needs a lot of TLC. I don't use humidity trays but as I said, it is kept moist.

Can you post a pic of your tree so I can see if it looks like the same issue I had?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips Empty Re: Gardenia Radicans- browning spots and tips

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am

They don't like to overwatered and I think your humidity tray isn't helping. Make sure that your soil drains and that it begins to dry between waterings, as much light as possible.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  I Cut too much Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok I removed the humidity tray a month ago after this developed. There is no yellowing, I've not seen one yellow leaf on this tree. It's straight up brown and the tips usually. Old and young alike, the leaves have no rythm to this issue. I've checked for bugs. There are none above ground. Also, I have noticed a few leaves with what appears to be "cracked" clearcoat. Lol I don't know what else to call it. It's the top of the leaf, toward the valley, and looks like my old camaros paint job.

I Cut too much

Back to top Go down

Post  I Cut too much Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:00 pm

Also just now noticed the underside of some leaves have black spots.
Are mealy bugs a possibility? I still have that white fuzzy mold on top.

I Cut too much

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Is your tree indoors or outdoors?

Any chance of a pic otherwise we're stabbing in the dark.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down