Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai moss yellowing and browning

5 posters

Go down

Bonsai moss yellowing and browning Empty Bonsai moss yellowing and browning

Post  Steppanyaki Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I have a new crape myrtle bonsai. It's been about three weeks and my once beautiful green moss has turned a sickly yellow brown. It sits on a window sill and gets a decent amount of summer sunlight. I originally watered it every day according to instructions but stopped when crape myrtle tree started dying and I was told I was over watering it. In that time, I have also sprayed my bonsai with detergent water to get rid of the aphids and soil bugs. I have also sprayed the bonsai with an organic fertilizer. Can anyone please tell me which of these is the cause of the moss dying? And if I stop doing this, will my moss return to its original color or is it non-revivable at this point?

Thanks!

Steppanyaki

Back to top Go down

Bonsai moss yellowing and browning Empty Re: Bonsai moss yellowing and browning

Post  JimLewis Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:12 pm

You are facing a hard road ahead.

1. Crape myrtle will not do well for long inside. They NEED to be outdoors.

2. Neither will moss -- or, as you have discovered you will have to keep the moss so damp that the tree will suffer.

Generally speaking, many of us prefer to keep moss OFF our trees, if possible, except for a show. A good moss cover means the soil is pretty damp and most trees don't like it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Lots of things here

1. Moss is attractive on Bonsai but usually good moss health and good bonsai health don't go together. When we show trees we might add moss but otherwise we don't want it.

2. Bonsai are outdoor trees, your tree should be outdoors when the temperature is above 32F.

3. BTW, Crape Myrtle will loose their leaves in winter.

4. Don't spray your tree. You only have one, pick off the bugs.

5. The soil bugs come from the over watering.

6. If you need to fertilize just pour it on the soil instead of your regular watering.

7. Use a meat skewer or chop stick to check for soil moisture. Don't water if the soil is wet.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 am

Look carefully, was it real moss or just dyed fine wood strips?
Florists also use a dyed fake moss.

You may wish to get about 10 more plants to work with, and not kill the one with over love.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

You might also consider that "florists" are unlikely to know a lot about bonsai. WSee our book reviews in the Top Posts and Tutorials section.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 pm

My wife is the exception.  She is a florist and knows waaay more than she wants to know about bonsai.pirat
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down