Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura

+2
hometeamrocker
jgeanangel
6 posters

Go down

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Empty Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura

Post  jgeanangel Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

Hey Folks...its been a while since I have posted, but recently I had the opportunity to create a video with Arthur Joura from the NC Arboretum. This video is a little long but Arthur does a great job of talking about some of the different aspects of developing deciduous material. I hope you enjoy.

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Empty Re: Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura

Post  hometeamrocker Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm

M4L. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Eli

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Empty Re: Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

This was a great informative video, John. Thank you for sharing this.

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong person, omitted the last comment)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks for sharing. Very informative and relaxing.

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks for the responses guy!

Todd, I think you will enjoy Arthur very much...he is a good guy with a common sense way of explaining the things he believes.

Rocker...my friend!

M4L???? made 4 learning...maybe?? I checked it out in urban dictionary but I don't think you meant "mate 4 life" Very Happy Very Happy

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  hometeamrocker Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 am

Marked for later... Didn't have time when I first saw the post. Chers man!

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 am

Thanks, John. Good info and editing...nice to hear Arthur's thought process as he envisions the tree moving forward. Curiously, I could hear but not see the video using IE but it worked fine on Google Chrome...probably a plug in issue.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthur Joura Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 pm

The follow-up work on this specimen was recently completed.

The roots were in excellent condition:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Img_4716

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Img_4717

The tree was potted into a bonsai container that is slightly deeper than what I think it will eventually go into:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Img_4718

The buds were pushing hard when the repotting was done, so it was only about 3 days later the tree was in leaf:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Img_4810

There are 2 small branches that have yet to grow and perhaps they will not, but they are not critical to the design. For the sake of promoting robust health, this bonsai will keep all the growth it produces for the next 6 weeks or so before it is pruned back. With luck, the timing will allow another burst of growth for the second half of the growing season. Now I need to keep my eyes open for an appropriate "final" container, in time for next year's repotting.
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthur Joura Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Time for an update on this specimen.

When it was repotted on the 2nd of April, I posted about it on this thread and said I expected it to keep all of its new growth for the next 6 weeks or so. By the 30th of April, it looked like this:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P110

The new shoots were so long that some of them were breaking under their own weight, so I went ahead and tipped it back. This pruning was only of the outermost parts of the crown, just back to an approximation of the silhouette I hope it will one day have, without getting inside and doing any detail work:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P210

After that I was able to let it grow unrestrained for about 7 weeks until June 21st, at which point it looked like this:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P310

Back in May we had experienced a hail storm that did a fair amount of damage on deciduous plants. Here is a close up of some of the leaves on this Parrotia:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P3a10

This time I pruned it back hard, getting inside and working every branch and shoot:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P410

Here is an overhead view, showing how some of the larger leaves, particularly those damaged by the hail, were reduced in size but not entirely removed:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P4a10

From the 21st of June until just earlier this week (mid August), the Parrotia filled out this much:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P510

We have had an incredibly good growing year in Asheville! The weather has been much cooler this summer than in any in at least the last decade, and we have had near record amounts of rain. Not everyone loves this weather, I must admit, but my plants and I sure do.

Here is how this specimen looks now, with what I expect will be its final pruning of the year:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P610

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P710 Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P810 Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P910

I think next year when it is repotted, I will tilt the tree backwards from its current position, like this:

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P9110 Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P9210 Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P9310

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura P9410

I think things have gone very well with this specimen this year. Hopefully I will locate a better container sometime between now and next spring, but even if I do not the plant will still need to be repotted. It can go back into the current container if need be.
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Developing a Persian Parrotia with Arthur Joura Empty Part 2 of Developing a Persian Parrotia

Post  jgeanangel Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 am

I had the good fortune once again to work with Arthur on this tree.  Here is part 2 of Developing a Persian Parrotia. I hope you enjoy!!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  hometeamrocker Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:22 am

Awesome, as always!

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down