Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures

+20
Jay Gaydosh
owennashville
jad628
Dale Cochoy
BrianLarson
AJ
Martin S
anttal63
kenduncan
John Quinn
Rob Kempinski
Rudi_G
JimLewis
fiona
luciano benyakob
jgeanangel
steve05412
Kev Bailey
ogie
bwaynef
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Empty Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures

Post  bwaynef Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Another excellent show at the Carolina Bonsai Expo.

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc10

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc11

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc12

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc13

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc14

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc15

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc16

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Sm_dsc17

If interested in seeing more (every tree displayed, indoors and out) check out http://bonsaistudygroup.com/bonsai-shows-competitions-and-displays/carolina-bonsai-expo-2010-pictures/

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Empty thank you

Post  ogie Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 pm

thank you for sharing....nice show Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Empty Re: Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Love that carved root stand in the first pic. Nice tree/pot/stand matching.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steve05412 Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 am

thanks for the pics...all look stunning Very Happy Cool

steve05412

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 am

I love the trees.
but the wall display is not that good. its soooo difficult to focus drunken drunken geek Confused Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

thanks

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 pm

jun wrote:I love the trees.
but the wall display is not that good. its soooo difficult to focus drunken drunken geek Confused Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

thanks

regards,
jun Smile

Perhaps you don't like it Jun...but there were many others who did:) (pardon the quicky photo)
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures IMG_0328

Every year the trees and displays get better and better...this year there were some outstanding imported trees and several amazing trees (including the first two posted by Wayne) that are owned by a participating club member but maintained by a professional. However, for me what was most impressive was the growing number of quality trees developed and/or collected locally. Once I have a chance I will post a couple of pics of those trees.
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:22 pm

What displays???
Very nice trees!!!
Shalom Luciano.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
jun wrote:I love the trees.

thanks

regards,
jun Smile

Perhaps you don't like it Jun...but there were many others who did:) (pardon the quicky photo)
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures IMG_0328

Every year the trees and displays get better and better...this year there were some outstanding imported trees and several amazing trees (including the first two posted by Wayne) that are owned by a participating club member but maintained by a professional. However, for me what was most impressive was the growing number of quality trees developed and/or collected locally. Once I have a chance I will post a couple of pics of those trees.
John

John,

...its my personal opinion, Even if the whole world likes it, that wont change my personal observation on that particular wall display. if most people who saw that display loved it like you said thats good for you...but you should also respect the opinion of others who do not like it...i guess that is the essence of this forum.

jun

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

jgeanangel wrote: ... However, for me what was most impressive was the growing number of quality trees developed and/or collected locally.
This is indeed the key point I believe. It would be the easiest thing in the world to flood the shows with imports, and I will confess to being "guilty" of buying pretty much ready-styled trees while my own work develops.

Shohin is very much in its infancy over here in the UK and I suspect it is pretty much the same in USA. Organisations such as the British Shohin Association and its American counterpart are working hard at pushing the bar upwards in terms of the quality of tree available through native sources and native endeavour. It will be a good number of years before that happens to the extent visible in Japan.

Also bear in mind that to go for anything other than a single tree exhibit requires you to have a collection of trees. If we consider that the most common way of displaying shohin is a rack or similar "mass" grouping, then you are realistically looking at a collection of some twelve quality trees. We are a long way off the average collector having that currently if these are to be anything other than "boughts".

And so to the displays: bearing in mind the limitations the exhibitors probably had, a good exhibition was certaily forthcoming. We will no doubt stray into the modern vs traditional debate here (with all its warts about labelling things) but it seems to me that if we are trying to boost shohin then why should we not also try to innovate a bit with how it is displayed. I like "traditional" rack displays but I also like some of the more innovative displays. Some will work; others wont. That's what pushing the boundaries is all about.

So, did some work at Carolina Expo while others didn't? Who is to say. Personal choice? Some will argue they don't work because they are not artistically pleasing to the eye. Others will play the "It's not how the Japanese would do it" card. IMHO the main flaw of the displays (not just at the Expo but at many shohin shows I been to) was they lacked the quality of tree needed to carry them off. As I said earlier, that will be rectified over time and I look forward to that day enormously.

But whether these current displays are to our own personal taste or not, hats off to the guys who tried to do something a bit different.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 pm

luciano benyakob wrote:What displays???
Very nice trees!!!
Shalom Luciano.

Hello Luciano, The Carolina Bonsai Expo brings together 14 or 15 regional bonsai clubs and study groups from the eastern and southeastern portions of the US. Each participating club creates a display for their trees in the show. Each club has about 5 meters (16') in which to build their displays. Participating clubs and groups are encouraged to create displays that venture beyond what is typically thought of as a traditional (Japanese Style) display. The club displays are judged by several parties including the Guest Artist, the curator of the NC arboretum, and the members of the participating clubs. In my opinion the club display aspect of this bonsai expo has added a unique and rewarding aspect to this event. In addition, individual trees are also judged.

As mentioned earlier, once I get a chance I will try to post images of the "displays". One thing I have noticed in the past is that these displays are best appreciated in person as it is often difficult to get a picture that does justice to the displays. Due to the growth of this event, many of the displays are situated such that it is difficult to get far enough away to photograph the entire display in one shot.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:53 pm

jun wrote: ...but you should also respect the opinion of others who do not like it...
Hi Jun. John is a big boy now and quite capable of defending himself. But I would have to say that if it had been my display you were criticising, I would have been more receptive to your opinion (to which you are of course entirely entitled) had it not been followed by that line of smileys.

Don't take that too much to heart please - I am of late becoming very much anti-smiley as (IMHO) they really do devalue a decent point and/or valid opinion to the extent of making it seem almost idiotic.

And I'm resisting the temptation to put one in here even if it might lighten the tone of the post and emphasise that this is not a criticism of your opinion. Honest! I'm smilin' inside.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:56 pm

jun wrote:

John,

...its my personal opinion, Even if the whole world likes it, that wont change my personal observation on that particular wall display. if most people who saw that display loved it like you said thats good for you...but you should also respect the opinion of others who do not like it...i guess that is the essence of this forum.

jun

No disrespect or lack of respect intended Jun...I was just sharing an opinion just as you did...twice I might add confused confused confused No No tongue tongue Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad farao sunny cheers pig cat alien

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:04 pm

nevermind.

Last edited by bwaynef on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi fiona,

First two smileys-drunken
3rd-geek
4th-confused
5th & 6th- rolling eyes

all of these smileys are related to my observation on the wall displays and not meant to offend anybody...specially the rolling eyes. i think even without words the smileys can expressed my personal opinion. scratch scratch scratch study

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:09 pm

thanks John!
same with me...I respect your opinion very much. and if the smileys offended you in a way... my apologies.

regards,
jun I love you I love you I love you I love you flower flower Cool Razz Razz Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

FWIW, I too do not think the "wall of shohin" worked -- despite the gaudy ribbon and with or without smilies (AKA "emoticons" -- and may I kindly bop over the head whoever it was who invented THAT word?).

I noted elsewhere here (see General Discussion) that there were many more shohin at this show than was usual. Some of them were excellent trees -- tho I have no idea whether they were home grown or store bought.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of the buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis) bonsai -- labeled in the show handout as "unidentified." It was a large bonsai. Aside from mine -- pictured here a few weeks ago -- it is the only one of its species I've ever seen. (For those who were methodical about their photography, it was in the Appalachian Bonsai Kai display -- number 7.)

If someone photographed it, please show it.

P.S. - I dunno where the Appalachian Bonsai Kai is located.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:50 pm

As mentioned earlier, I posted a picture of every tree on display, inside and out. Here's the one you were talking about: (2nd tree in this post)
http://bonsaistudygroup.com/bonsai-shows-competitions-and-displays/carolina-bonsai-expo-2010-pictures/msg7176/#msg7176

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Alas, it doesn't seem to want to show the pictures. I probably have to join. Can you send it to me: lewis.jk@gmail.com
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudi_G Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Love the trees and the presentation.

Rudi_G

Back to top Go down

Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures Empty Displays

Post  jgeanangel Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Here are a few photos of the club displays from the Expo.

Mid-Appalachian Bonsai Kai (group that Jim referenced...the Buttonbush is on the left)
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120964

Bonsai Society of the Carolinas
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120965

Triangle Bonsai Society (I am not sure if that name is exactly correct) Raleigh, NC
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120982

This is the display of a study group based in Florence, SC (sorry guys...I have never mastered the name of your group)
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120989

Susquehanna Club from Harrisburg, PA
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120990

Cape Fear Bonsai Club
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120991

Mountain Empire Bonsai Society
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1130001

I didn't catch the name of this club from Virginia but this is their first year at the Expo
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1130007

Piedmont Bonsai Association
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120943

Nashville Bonsai Society
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120945

Black Creek Study Group
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120937

Blue Ridge Bonsai Society - There was just no room to photograph this display
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120949

I must apologize to the Atlanta and Knoxville groups as I somehow did not get photos of the entire displays...both were in a difficult location. Unfortunately(only because I don't have a photo), the Knoxville club's display was selected as the best in show display! Their display was very traditional but outstanding! Every tree was superb! The trees, tables and accents all worked well together.

Here are photos of the individual trees from the Knoxville display - I think this is all but one of the trees.
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120973
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120974
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120978
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120979

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am

Thanks for posting - some nice trees there.

I like the Florence SC display. One suggestion might be to get rid of the flat wood stands and use the simple stands and replace the flat ones with simple slabs.

The wall of shohin is interesting. I'd like to have seen it in person as from the photograph it tends to deemphasize the individual trees but in person one could probably focus their attention.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the pics, John et al. Sorry I missed it this year as I was 'on call'. I'd also like to see pics of the various award trees. What was the SC display awarded...innovation?
John
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 pm

John Quinn wrote:Thanks for the pics, John et al. Sorry I missed it this year as I was 'on call'. I'd also like to see pics of the various award trees. What was the SC display awarded...innovation?
John

Guest Artist: David Easterbrook
Best in show tree
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1130047
Best in show display - I only have video

Peer Awards:Participating club members
Best Tree
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120973
Best Display
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1130001

Peoples Choice award:general public
Carolina Bonsai Expo 2010 Pictures P1120968