Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Ryan Neil

+7
efishn
Jim McIntyre
Todd Ellis
Velodog2
JimLewis
gman
dorothy7774
11 posters

Go down

For Ryan Neil Empty For Ryan Neil

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 am

Hi Ryan and all,

I have been working on the Podocarpus from the BSF Convention last year. This is todays' result, front, side and back. I think I will move the top jin closer to the tree apex to close the "V", what do you (all) think Very Happy :

For Ryan Neil Podoca10

For Ryan Neil Podoca11

For Ryan Neil Podoca12

For Ryan Neil Blackp10

For Ryan Neil Blackp11

For Ryan Neil Blackp12
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

For Ryan Neil Empty Shari

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 am

Additional little detail I created some years ago:

For Ryan Neil Img_3810

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

For Ryan Neil Empty Re: For Ryan Neil

Post  gman Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 am

Nice work D, it looks nice and healthy......bringing the jin closer/behind the apex might work well if the first photo is the front?
Cheers Graham
p.s. were there any sketches/verts from Ryans first stlying?
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Are you going to bend the jin or the live wood?

Nice tree. I'd really like to see Podocarpus used more often.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

The third pic is more appealing to me than the first two. I suppose this is the back? The flow of the trunk including the emergence of the jin appears better, but perhaps his doesn't work as well in three dimensions.
Mike

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 pm

I would like to know how you plan to bend the dead wood. I also wonder if it might look better reduced by more than half its current length; the other jin and snags are shorter. Do you plan to grow a larger canopy? Very nice tree!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

For Ryan Neil Empty A stylish Maki

Post  Jim McIntyre Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm

This is a very stylish Podocarpus . I only have one criticism - why do you trim the leaves shorter ? Is this to improve the outline of the pads ? I would prefer to see it in its natural state .

Jim McIntyre

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Dorothy,

What u think about this position of the jin ?

For Ryan Neil D111

Good Luck
Efi
efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:07 am

gman wrote:Nice work D, it looks nice and healthy......bringing the jin closer/behind the apex might work well if the first photo is the front?
Cheers Graham
p.s. were there any sketches/verts from Ryans first stlying?

Thanks. Yes, the first photo is the front - for now. No sketches or virts.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 am

JimLewis wrote:Are you going to bend the jin or the live wood?

Nice tree. I'd really like to see Podocarpus used more often.

I was planning to bend the jin with the blow torch. However, I think I am just going to shorten the top jin. What do you think:

For Ryan Neil Podoca13
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 am

Velodog2 wrote:The third pic is more appealing to me than the first two. I suppose this is the back? The flow of the trunk including the emergence of the jin appears better, but perhaps his doesn't work as well in three dimensions.
Mike

All sides are interesting with this tree, including the back. The line is good in the back, the available branches are not. One could regrow of course.

Thanks,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 am

Todd Ellis wrote:I would like to know how you plan to bend the dead wood. I also wonder if it might look better reduced by more than half its current length; the other jin and snags are shorter. Do you plan to grow a larger canopy? Very nice tree!
Todd

Todd, you are correct. I think too the jin needs to be shortened. Check the pic I just previously posted. I was planning to blow torch the jin and bend it. Pretty easy. Yes, the canopy will be larger. However, this tree has very short leaves. The size of the cut leaves is the actual size once the tree is back in balance.

Thanks, Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 am

Jim McIntyre wrote:This is a very stylish Podocarpus . I only have one criticism - why do you trim the leaves shorter ? Is this to improve the outline of the pads ? I would prefer to see it in its natural state .

Jim,

I trimmed the leaves because that is the real size of the leaves.The tree has been growing out and the leaves have gotten larger. Once the tree is in its cycle it will have very short leaves. That was the reason I aquired it. I always wanted to make airlayers.
In addition it is equally easier to style when you know how much spacing is needed and it makes you see better. It also forces lots of backbudding on branchlets and old wood.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:29 am

efishn wrote:Hi Dorothy,

What u think about this position of the jin ?

For Ryan Neil D111

Good Luck
Efi

Efi,

I think it looks broken. Very Happy
Kidding. There are many ways to integrate the top jin, that's one of them. However, I don't really need the long jin, so I will go with Todd's suggestion and shorten it, I think.

Thanks,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

For Ryan Neil Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 am

i think you can have a dead wood like this :
[img]For Ryan Neil Tree12[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Great development of this tree. This is the best Podocarpus I have ever seen and it only appears that it is going to get better. Where on earth did you find the raw material to make this bonsai?

I also realize that Ryan made the initial styling but it is your care and continued work that has brought the original intent to fruition; not an easy task. It is so easy to let a piece designed by someone of Ryan's talent to run lose without proper care and maintenance, or to lose the entire tree due to continually fooling with it. The tree as I see it now is as it should be; better than the tree you left BSF with.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Why not bend and see if you like it first? The jin can easily be reduced later and no harm done .....

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 am

abcd, thank you for your suggestion. Yes, that is possible, thanks.

Vance, thank you for your very kind words!

marie1uk, I am procrastinating when it comes to top jins. Very Happy The only reason to bend the top jin down is if it was needed there. EFi and you made a good suggestion nevertheless.

Thanks!
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Spring! cheers

For Ryan Neil Podo_210
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Yeah!!! Bagpiper
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 am

dorothy7774 wrote:abcd, thank you for your suggestion. Yes, that is possible, thanks.

Vance, thank you for your very kind words!

marie1uk, I am procrastinating when it comes to top jins. Very Happy The only reason to bend the top jin down is if it was needed there. EFi and you made a good suggestion nevertheless.

Thanks!

On the subject of the top jin. I have always found that the best option when you are in doubt or unsure is to leave it alone. One day you will go out into your garden and you will know; you will decide to refine it or cut it off but there will be no doubt. It is after all your tree you choices and your actions.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks Vance, well said.

As un update, I'd like to show the backbudding I usually achieve with Podocarpus by cutting the leaves just prior to spring budding:

For Ryan Neil Img_4510

Lots of the new shoots will emerge out of the old center shoot, the tree may or may not drop soem of the browning old leafs:
For Ryan Neil Img_4511

Other shoots will emerge out of the trunk and/or out of old pruning scars..
For Ryan Neil Img_4512

For Ryan Neil Img_4514

For Ryan Neil Img_4516

..and out of branches
For Ryan Neil Img_4513

For Ryan Neil Img_4610

For Ryan Neil Img_4515

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Great photos of its progress!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 pm

It's really nice to see all that back budding. This opens the door to you for more options if you choose to take any of them. Also helps to keep your foliage pads nice and compact. A lot of tree we tend to work with don't give you this luxury, you kind of find yourself pinched into a corner of having to constantly manage the new growth or a bit of neglect can cost you years of work in one summer. Now you have to be careful that the new growth won't say Woopie, take off and abandon a necessary branch.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:38 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:... ...As un update, I'd like to show the backbudding I usually achieve with Podocarpus by cutting the leaves just prior to spring budding
This is amazing!
I always wonder how bonsai people "invent" new methods/ways and I always admire people who experiment and are always trying to find something new or find solutions to problems.
Looks like you are one of them, Dorothy! Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down