Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

willow stump rooting?

3 posters

Go down

willow stump rooting? Empty willow stump rooting?

Post  colin mackness Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I want to create a bonsai pollarded willow.Obviously a rough bark or knarled 2" stump,about 12" high would give it a great "quick fix" start.But would it root or does it have to be on he tender side.Has anyone had success with large willow stumps rooting?

colin mackness

Back to top Go down

willow stump rooting? Empty Re: willow stump rooting?

Post  leatherback Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Willows root in every shape and size. Lots of water and protect from direct sun. Or even better: Take an air-layer/ Guaranteed success.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

We may have a different definition of "pollard" but why grow a pollard bonsai?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

willow stump rooting? Empty willow stump rooting?

Post  colin mackness Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Jim
Pollarding I'm sure is the description I am on about,it's just that I didn't explain myself very well.I saw this bonsai in a book years ago,it described it as similar to the riverside willows pollarded every year(or every year or two),then allowed to "sprout",my description not theirs.We have many willows along the embankment of the River Ouse in Bedford treated exactly in this way,and this bonsai replicates them spendidly.It might not be everyones "cup of tea" but to me it really works.I would definitely not consider a permanent pollarded stump,as you say,what would be the point.
willow stump rooting? Img_0313 Cheers Colin

colin mackness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down