Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro)

+6
Todd Ellis
savvas
Nigel Parke
Twisted Trees
Hank Miller
Greg
10 posters

Go down

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Empty Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro)

Post  Greg Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Everybody,

Mavro (Greek: μαύρο, meaning "black") is an indigenous red grape cultivated on the island of Cyprus.
Cyprus belongs to the old world of wine producing countries and the grapevine below collected from one very old vineyard. The owner estimated the grapevine age to be 150-200 years!! I am not sure if he is right but if you consider that the owner is 90 years old and the vineyard was propably planted by his grandfather or grand grandfather(he wasnt sure) then is a very old specimen for sure.
The very obvious reverse tapering and bark colour/pattern are also signs of a very old grapevine.

Below ar some photos from collection to today.

I would be glad to hear your opinions, suggestions and advices about this tree

As collected
Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) 2012-010

last summer
Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Sam_0912

Today
Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3912

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3913

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3914

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3915

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3916

Greg

Back to top Go down

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Empty Re: Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro)

Post  Guest Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 pm

That is pretty cool... I have never seen deadwood on grape. Although leaf-size maybe an issue, overall it has great potential.

Back to top Go down

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Empty Re: Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro)

Post  Hank Miller Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 am

Very nice! I have a few questions: When was the grape collected? I did not realize that the trunks clean up so nicely. When you remove the old bark will it still bud from trunk? Lastly do you have any idea about whether one can reduce the size of the leaves and if so how? Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Amman ,
Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right is rare to see dead wood on a grape. This grape is very old that's why you can see plenty of dead wood

Hank,
The grape was collected 1.5 year ago.
Dont forget that this is a very old speciment so old loose bark from the stem removed using almost just my fingers. Usually pests are hiding there so its a must to remove old bark.
I think its too difficult to bud from the old trunk.
The size of the leaves can be reduced by leaf pruning, either throughout the season by removing the larger leaves or by total defoliation. We are lucky in Cyprus that we have a long growing season and plants will tolerate defoliation twice in a season provided they are strong and fertilised well beforehand. Apart from reducing leaf size defoliation promotes branch ramification, it's like having 2 or 3 growing seasons in one

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Nice fix on a reverse taper.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Beautiful deadwood and live veins, it cleaned up really nice.
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Many thanks!

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  savvas Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Nice try Greg,an unusual species for bonsai,but a very popular species in our island so its worth a try.So far so good,lets see its progress... ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
savvas
savvas

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Many thanks Savvas.

below are some virtual. I tried with tree inclination to give a better balance.
I would like to hear your comments.

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3917

Vitis vinifera -Common Grapevine, Cipro Nero (Mavro) Img_3918

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm favor the second photo, but I would like to see more branching before making a decision. I love the virtual pot with the texture.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  vivian Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 am

hi
if you wants your vitis survive, you have to be drastic each year, like in wine culture
if you don't, it will die Wink

vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Vivian,
Interesting!
Do you have any events regarding your conclusion about hard pruning?

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

vivian wrote:hi
if you wants your vitis survive, you have to be drastic each year, like in wine culture

Vintners hard prune to encourage flowering and balance crop vigor I have never heard a vintner mention that left unpruned the vine will die. I have wild fox grapes on my property that have been growing there since the 70's having never been pruned and yet they are still alive.

Could you perhaps provide a reference for your statement above? I would be very curious to read it.

thank you
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:32 pm

I was just about to post the same thing, Jay. We have concord grapes that have been in the ground for decades, each year I just prune off the wild out of control extensions and they grow strongly and produce tons of fruit. Also have 3 seedless cultivars (can't remember the names) that I planted 7 or 8 years ago, they get the same treatment. I'm actually thinking about "harvesting" one of them for bonsai use, as the fruits would be nicely in scale...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:26 pm

vivian wrote:hi

Is it an urban legend or just a joke? Smile
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  vivian Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 am

hi
i don't understand english very well sorry
my sister produicing wine in south of france and i help her
wine is a climber plant and it survives if it have something to "climb"
we saw it at a place where plants have been let grow since 3-4years.
the only survivors are there wish have climb at trees or other thing
however, like wisteria and other climber species, it still strong when you are drastic
if you don't it maybe not die but will not be strong.
and when it's not strong some branches die...

this one is not strong

vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  vivian Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 am

for example, we keep only six branches cutted to one bud

vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down