Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camellia question

2 posters

Go down

Camellia question Empty Camellia question

Post  C.A. Young Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether anyone can advise me on japanese camellia. Specifically, I want to know whether I can treat it like a tropical, or whether it needs a period of winter dormancy. The reason I ask is that the guy I usually get my trees from keeps them in a heated greenhouse year round, along with the rest of his tropicals. Can I bring it indoors with the rest of my tropicals? Light and humidity are not an issue: I use metal halides and even my humidity loving plants (e.g. sageretia) seem to like the indoor conditions I provide them. Of course, as soon as the whether permits, everything goes outside, but this is usually not until May 1st. Any suggestions here?

C.A. Young

Back to top Go down

Camellia question Empty Re: Camellia question

Post  0soyoung Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:31 pm

I think you've answered your own question.

The opposite, however, seems like a question. The coldest climates camellias can grow in is USDA zone 7 which is no colder than 5F (-15C). Bear in mind that this is for a plant with its roots in the ground, so if you sink the pot in the ground you could leave it outside and bring it in temporarily when temperatures were getting blow that limit. But your nursery guy has no problems treating them as tropicals, so why not, unless that creates some problem for you?
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down