Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oldest Trees on the Planet

5 posters

Go down

Oldest Trees on the Planet Empty Oldest Trees on the Planet

Post  Robert J. Baran Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:23 pm

For those who missed it the first time it came out, an article about the greatest known elders of our charges, http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/old-tree-gallery/
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Oldest Trees on the Planet Empty Re: Oldest Trees on the Planet

Post  JimLewis Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks, Robert, I HAD forgotten that. Humbling.

Alas, however, one of those trees is gone. "The Senator" pond/bald cypress in Florida was burned to the ground (reportedly by vandals) in 2011. http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/mourning-the-loss-of-the-senator-a-3500-year-old-tree
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:02 pm

The Senator fire was started by a homeless woman who was using drugs at the base of the tree and started a fire either to prepare the drugs for use or to keep warm, she has been arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced. There is an effort being made to clone the tree, but I have not heard anything recently.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Its a tragic story all around; the woman who was probably high, and made poor decisions, and the fact that this tree was situated in a park and no park personnel were around to observe her antics... Is the fact that no one was around to provide security in the park a result of budget cuts and a reduction of staff? I would be glad to pay more taxes to provide more security of our national treasures.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:14 pm

The Senator was not really in a "Park" it was a small area probably owned by the city or county but just a sidewalk and low fence around the tree. I am sure there was never any security.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:The Senator was not really in a "Park" it was a small area probably owned by the city or county but just a sidewalk and low fence around the tree. I am sure there was never any security.

Yes, we all think these gentle giants are more protected then they are but it often turns out they are just another tree in a park (happens everywhere) -right at the path of our short trip - sad for everything on this planet .
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 pm

Indeed!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content