Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ?

+2
Russell Coker
Khaimraj Seepersad
6 posters

Go down

Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ? Empty Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Reading through the -

Bonsai Penjing - Montreal Bonsai Garden [ 1985 ] - page 67 -

Speaks of the discovery of a living potted Pine in a tomb , that dates back at least 3,600 years.

Real or just a hoax ?
Thanks
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ? Empty Re: Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ?

Post  Russell Coker Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:52 pm

I first heard that story when I was a teenager, but always considered it folklore. I'd love to see the proof.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ? Empty Re: Worldest oldest living Bonsai - can anyone verify this ?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Russell,

I first read it in 86, a friend who grew Bonsai back then, went to Canada and brought back the book.
Just got my own copy, through Amazon a few days ago. I, once a year sit and go through pages of old Bonsai books, on Amazon, the idea is to get a few, especially the before 1960 ones.
I find the ideas fascinating and it's interesting to see how things change.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  stacy allen muse Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 am

Personal opinion... I don't think a pine would be lasting much more than a year in a tomb,
seeing that pines kinda need alot of light ???
Unless this tomb happens to be the well lit kind ???
Smile
stacy allen muse
stacy allen muse

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

It's an Internet rumor/hoax. I have a feeling it is a garbled version of a less fantastical history, detailed below:

The earliest documented proof of bonsai was discovered in 1972 in the tomb of Prince Zhang Huai, of the Tang Dynasty (618 - 907 A.D.) who died in 706 A.D. Two wall paintings discovered in the tomb show servants carrying plants resemblingbonsai. In one of the paintings a servant is seen carrying a miniature landscape and in the other painting a servant is shown carrying a pot containing a tree.

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Stokes Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 pm

rockm wrote:It's an Internet rumor/hoax. I have a feeling it is a garbled version of a less fantastical history, detailed below:

The earliest documented proof of bonsai was discovered in 1972 in the tomb of Prince Zhang Huai, of the Tang Dynasty (618 - 907 A.D.) who died in 706 A.D. Two wall paintings discovered in the tomb show servants carrying plants resemblingbonsai. In one of the paintings a servant is seen carrying a miniature landscape and in the other painting a servant is shown carrying a pot containing a tree.
This sounds much more believable.
Paul Stokes
Paul Stokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J. Baran Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Please see the last entry on this page for some background, http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Days/DaysAprc.html .
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Thank you Robert J.Baran.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down