Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floating tree

+8
dexworks
JudyB
quatrefi
marcus watts
Khaimraj Seepersad
Tom
moyogijohn
my nellie
12 posters

Go down

Floating tree Empty Floating tree

Post  Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 am

Hi IBC,

I would like to share with you one of my recent works...I found a natural rock suited for one of my Phempis acidula...

The stand is bolted to the rock because the rock/slab won't stand on it's own for this angle and position. and I wanted the whole composition to look light and appear to be scooped out of a cliff side by a giant spoon, rock and trees all together....hehehe. Wink

Let me know if this idea works or not.

Floating tree Dsc_1423

for scale:

Floating tree Dsc_1424

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Floating tree Empty Re: Floating tree

Post  my nellie Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 am

It almost works for me, my friend.
But... my personal opinion is :
a) the legs of the stand are not enhancing the impression overall.
I can imagine them more massive and shorter and then the new image is more satisfying to me.
b) and should perhaps the slopes of the substrate mound be gradually spread a little towards the rim of the slab?

All the above seen by an ignorant's eye....

Last edited by my nellie on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am

it feels good to my eyes...it does not hurt in anyway Wink

indeed, having a good rock to match a good tree can be quite a dilemma, if it cannot stand by itself. I think you did allright, and why not, because there are many thin bonsai tables where its almost only the legs of the table that stand out in the total composition and no one complains about that...so why not look at these iron legs underneath your nice composition, it does not hurt my eyes, nor my personal feelings Very Happy

What i would have opted for, when i look at the texture and colour of the rock etc... i would maybe prefer to see brute iron legs/pipes...because they will rust, and that rusty colour would be a good match i think.

Back to top Go down

Floating tree Empty floating tree

Post  moyogijohn Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 pm

JUN,, It workes for me just fine ! only thing it needs to be here in w. va. its nice..how are the kids ??? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 pm

I really like the tree and rock combination, but for me the stand is a problem. My eyes are drawn to the legs, they detract from the composition in my view. I'd much prefer to see the rock resting on tabletop, with legs only as long as necessary to hold it in position (I guess raising it at the back). Of course, that doesn't achieve the 'floating in the air' image you want... Sad

Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Jun,

I am with Alexandra on this one. I like what you have done with the tree/rock, and the angle for display works.
However, perhaps a litle more effort with regards to supporting the angle of the rock.

Reminds of one of our islets on our Northern coast, good job.

Perhaps a stone added to look like a sea arch and hopefully it won't look like a lady's high heeled shoe.

Anyhow I have no real worries about you L.L.B, I know you will just invent / create the correct situation.
Thanks for taking the time to show. thumbs up
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks guys!

I got a new idea, I'll be crafting a glass stand. but the uneven surface of the rock underside is a huge challenge. hope it works.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 am

jun wrote:Thanks guys!

I got a new idea, I'll be crafting a glass stand. but the uneven surface of the rock underside is a huge challenge. hope it works.

regards,
jun Smile

now you have me thinking Very Happy perspex and acrylic...i have quite a lot somewhere in the shed.

I like the idea of combining rock and stand. A very exciting and dynamic effect would come from a single leg - a pedistal - with a very plain flat base.

nice idea, thanks

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  quatrefi Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 am

Hello, still new ideas, very good!

quatrefi

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 pm

marcus watts wrote:... ... perspex and acrylic... ...
A very exciting and dynamic effect would come from a single leg - a pedistal - with a very plain flat base... ...
This is it, Jun! This is great idea, Marcus!
A pedestal made of some transparent material with coarse awkward surface!
Anyone who can make a virtual...?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Wow, it's wonderful to see ideas unfold here in front of my eyes! Jun, I can hardly wait to see what you do with this wonderful planting. I love your choice of this stone, beautiful.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  dexworks Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey bro,

I have some solid acrylic rod lying around, send me a pm if you're interested. It's approx 1inch diameter, you could attach it to an acrylic base below and another one beneath the rock.

Derick
dexworks
dexworks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm

dexworks wrote:Hey bro,

I have some solid acrylic rod lying around, send me a pm if you're interested. It's approx 1inch diameter, you could attach it to an acrylic base below and another one beneath the rock.

Derick

I was thinking you could do this as well, if your goal is to make the legs less intrusive. Otherwise, rock on. Great idea. I like it. I think the feet are a little bit too strong but hey, whatever floats your boat....err.........bonsai. Very Happy

Thanks for posting Jun.
Have a great weekend!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Michaeliezza Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:26 am

I am very new to the art of bonsai and I think the tree and its how it's growing are stunning. But the legs are not a great choice and maybe you should consider changing them.

Michaeliezza

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:56 am

I would like it wih a lot more legs. Like 12 all packed together. Made out of iron that would rust.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Floating tree Empty floating tree

Post  abcd Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:33 am

Look at this photographie, that is possible in a tokonoma.

[img]Floating tree Floati10[/img]

abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks guys! I have many options now. I'll give you an update of one of the idea suggested here. Keep it coming please, I'll adopt a solution from one of you guys...I'll probably display it too in the gallery.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 am

dexworks wrote:Hey bro,

Derick

Thanks Derick! surely I'll be needing it...if not for this project, it will be for another one. Thanks pre.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down