Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fungus on Ficus?

+4
bonsaisr
Sakaki
Billy M. Rhodes
Ryan
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fungus on Ficus? - Page 3 Empty Re: Fungus on Ficus?

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I have a lot of Ficus and don't think I have ever had a fungus.
You haven't had a fungus or your Ficus?
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm

For my indoor, enclosed trees I've moved to a mix of turface and lava at about 70/30. I think with all of our humidity, we shouldn't mess with decomposing organics near the roots. That being said, my trees are not exactly an image of health at this point, so take my advice with a grain of Epsom salt.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  nickalpin Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Ryan wrote:While repotting today, I noticed that the yellow fuzzy mold was all around the rootball. Not 100% sure as to what it is....

From your soil pictures, it looks as if the soil could be sifted to keep out the finer particles. Jim Smith told me that he uses straight Turface for many plantings. Some of the leaf pictures you shared may simply be of older leaves or passing issues. Jerry Meislik wrote that indoor ficus tend to have fewer problems with pests like thrips, etc. The tree looks healthy overall, although I'd cut it back to induce some new growth unless you plan on thickening current branches.

Reading through the thread, I thought it useful to mention that ficus come from varied locations, some behave more like succulents than tropicals.

nickalpin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

nickalpin wrote:

From your soil pictures, it looks as if the soil could be sifted to keep out the finer particles. Jim Smith told me that he uses straight Turface for many plantings. Some of the leaf pictures you shared may simply be of older leaves or passing issues. Jerry Meislik wrote that indoor ficus tend to have fewer problems with pests like thrips, etc. The tree looks healthy overall, although I'd cut it back to induce some new growth unless you plan on thickening current branches.

Reading through the thread, I thought it useful to mention that ficus come from varied locations, some behave more like succulents than tropicals.

Oops missed this reply, thank you for the information. I'm hoping those leaves were just old leaves dying off, and I'll focus on getting the finer particles out of the soil.

However, since that update I trimmed the rootball in half, repotted it into another pot, and stuck it in my more efficient greenhouse. I discovered it was a bit too tall though, so I had to trim back some branches. Looking the tree over today, I noticed those branches are now starting to backbud, a wonderful sign cheers

Fungus on Ficus? - Page 3 00715

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Cool

Fungus on Ficus? - Page 3 00213

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Lots of backbud occurring:
Fungus on Ficus? - Page 3 00716

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3