Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mycorrhizal fungi

2 posters

Go down

Mycorrhizal fungi Empty Mycorrhizal fungi

Post  Peter Thorne Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Has any one had experience of applying Mycorrhizal fungi to a tree already established in a pot? I have a number of pines which were repotted last year and they are simply not moving fast enough for me. I have been reading about the importance of having Mycorrhizal fungi around the root system, but all the products that I have been able to find, are for trees planted in the ground, and talk about sprinkling the dry mix granules into the base of the hole before planting the tree. I have read about the importance of getting the granules into contact with the roots and wondered wether anyone has experience of applying the Mycorrhizal fungi to a bonsai. I have notice that some of these products are sold as a gel and wondered about "injecting" the gel into the soil. Has anyone used these products ? how are they applied to bonsai ? Are they any good ?
Peter Thorne
Peter Thorne

Back to top Go down

Mycorrhizal fungi Empty Fungus indeed

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:48 am

I haven't used any of these gel products but, I do know that you can buy mushroom soils that still contain cultures in them. You can mix them right into your soil. I have grown my own mushrooms in plastic bins and then used the solid that way. Cultures are easily obtained via the web. Hope this helps a bit.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down