Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

haws watering cans

+3
JimLewis
Poink88
Mitch - Cedarbog
7 posters

Go down

haws watering cans Empty haws watering cans

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:33 pm

I am looking at a 5 liter haws slimcan long reach and a 2 gallon haws watering can with long reach. Which is better? My potted collection generally stands between 30-50 at any given time. They both have the fine rose and the long spouts.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

haws watering cans Empty Re: haws watering cans

Post  Poink88 Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:45 pm

I water with hose and fertilized with my Haws 5 liter and it is great but having 100 plants to fertilize, I switched to a hose fed system. Due to the fact that I had to stop, mix about 12 times to complete my plants. My Haws is hardly used now. I may adapt the rose to fit my watering wand in the future.

The 2 gallon might become too heavy after a while...especially if you have hard to access/reach plants.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:49 pm

You'll have to fill the 2 gallon can less often, but it will be heavier.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks. What is 5 liter equivalent to?
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Mitch - Cedarbog wrote:Thanks. What is 5 liter equivalent to?
close to 1-1/3 gallon (1.32 gal)
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Dario,

if I might tease you - only 100 plants ??? - and you have to use a hose - Laughing

I use a 2 gallon, and I have several half barrels at points to re-fill. I am lazy.
To fertilize I use a 1 quart brass watering can, dipping into a 3 gallon bucket.
No big thing.
Later, old man.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Get the round head rosette for the Haws and you will be able to water and direct your fertilizer much more accurately...I started with the big oval rosette it came with and quickly ordered the round one as it seemed I got more water on the bench then in the pot....the round one is awesome..

I love my Haws
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:34 am

drgonzo wrote:Get the round head rosette for the Haws and you will be able to water and direct your fertilizer much more accurately...I started with the big oval rosette it came with and quickly ordered the round one as it seemed I got more water on the bench then in the pot....the round one is awesome..

I love my Haws
-Jay

that is a good tip - i have fertilised my benches well this summer too. did you get rosette no.1 or 21 jay?

Dario you are getting lazing already, and so early in your bonsai career..........I water with a hose, but fertilising has to be by can ( 2 gal haws from 1950's) as i need different ferts and tonics for different species. Some trees need boosting, some need leached out elements adding back, the beeches need extras, the azaleas need acid, pines need some seaweed and love fish emulsion. Then you have to control the amount given - some trees need weaker ferts than others - learn your trees needs individually, if you have too many to do it properly then it is time to have a clear out affraid affraid affraid

great cans - i feel like a proper grower using mine ! Very Happy

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Marcus,

I want to call it being efficient Very Happy LOL "Proper way" again is relative since I think I am doing it properly...just my way. I am learning their individual needs but the things that are different (i.e. acid, fish emulsion, humic, seaweed, trace minerals, etc.) are added separately in the pots then I fertilize them all using an all purpose.

Due to space limitation (not watering), I do need to reduce my collection Sad but it is very tough...I am getting emotionally attached to all of them. I know I can and need to do it, but still holding on a bit longer. Embarassed My wife is not making any easier, I set aside a few to be purged but she said "not those, I like them" sigh (back to square one) Evil or Very Mad
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

haws watering cans Empty round rose?

Post  JudyB Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Just ran across this thread, as I (finally) bought a haws. I have found that I would rather have a round rose, however and am wondering where you got yours Jay? Mine is a 5/8" (bib size) plastic version - fire engine red no less... I found them out of the country, but the shipping is more than the rose!

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 am

Hi Judy

I have the round rose and its excellent for directing water (used my beloved Haws today to water the dormant deciduous trees actually) I got it at:

http://www.hawswateringcans.com/roses.asp

These are the folks for Haws and accessories.

Best
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch - Cedarbog Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 am

I forgot about this thread and has since acquired a 2 gallon galvanized haws longreach can. I had a problem with the oval rose with it being wasteful. I went a got a round rose at the same site as indicated above and it is so much better. It is more concentrated and more control of what water goes where. I highly recommend it.
Mitch - Cedarbog
Mitch - Cedarbog

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, that oval goes EVERYwhere. I'll be getting the round, thanks!

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down