Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiny white bugs in soil?

+5
Hoo
coh
JustLikeAmmy
JimLewis
Billy M. Rhodes
9 posters

Go down

Tiny white bugs in soil? Empty Tiny white bugs in soil?

Post  Guest Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:05 pm

I was checking my fukien tea to see if it was ready to be watereded and I noticed that there are tiny white bugs in the soil. They almost look like they could be spider mites, but I was under the impression that they live on the tree and not in the soil. What could these bugs be and what should I do to get rid of them?
Thanks!
--Gabrielle

Back to top Go down

Tiny white bugs in soil? Empty Re: Tiny white bugs in soil?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Probably gnat larve feeding on decaying organic matter and while not harmful to the plant, it usually means you are keeping the soil too wet.

It could also be root mealy bugs which are very harmful if not fatal.

Can you get a photo, or google root mealy bugs.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:46 pm

You are keeping your tree too wet. I recall wondering about that in another one of your messages. Don't water a bonsai unless the soil is quite dry.

Keep a broken-off piece of chopstick jammed in the soil. Remove it at the same time each day and feel the dirty end. If it is at all damp, DO NOT WATER. If it is dry, water.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 pm

GOOGLE "fungus gnats."
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JustLikeAmmy Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Before I repotted my Juniper after getting it from the nursery in awful soil, I discovered it's soil had bugs similar to described.

I showed them to my mum and she told me they weren't harmful at all and not that big of a deal.

I didn't really believe her, but was re-potting anyways so didn't question it...but now I'm wondering if it's true? Can these bugs or any similar or any 'bug' at all for that matter apart from good bacteria and fungus be harmless to a bonsai?
JustLikeAmmy
JustLikeAmmy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Fungus gnats won't hurt a tree, but the conditions that make fungus gnats happy can do great damage to the tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JustLikeAmmy Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 pm

JimLewis wrote:Fungus gnats won't hurt a tree, but the conditions that make fungus gnats happy can do great damage to the tree.

A nice natural preemptive 'Emergency!" alarm Razz

Good to know!
JustLikeAmmy
JustLikeAmmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 am

Thank you all for your replies!

Jim - I currently use the chopstick method and only water when needed so I don't think that I am keeping the soil too wet. I barely water my tree twice a week.

Bill - I googled both fungus gnats and root mealy bugs and neither resemble the critters in my soil. I did however google spider mites and this picture looks exactly like what I have been seeing. I think that the whole tree may be infested, but I only saw them in the soil because of the contrast between the two.

[img https://i.servimg.com/u/f36/17/76/05/54/spider10.jpg[/img]

What is the best method to rid my tree of these creepy little creatures?

Thanks!
--Gabrielle

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 am

I don't think you usually find spider mites in the soil...so before trying to "rid the tree" of them, make sure that they are actually on the foliage. Try looking at it with a magnifying glass, and try the "paper trick" where you put a sheet of white paper under some of the foliage and tap on it (the foliage). If there are mites they should fall to the paper and be visible as moving specs.

There are lots of little critters that can live on the organic matter in the soil, even if it's not too wet (but the wetness definitely encourages them).
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:10 pm

I don't believe that spider mites have a larval stage in the soil. You can always take your tree in to your local agricultural extension office. Someone there will help you identify them and suggest solutions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Chris - Thank you for your suggestion! I did the paper test and there were indeed moving specs on the paper as well as on the tree's foliage.

Jim - After poking around in the soil, I noticed that part of the trunk is barried so maybe that's why I saw them in the soil? I'm not sure.

I read about a mixture that is suppose to be gentle enough to spray a fukien tea with. I'm thinking about trying it. It calls for:
1 tbsp dish soap
4 tbsp veg. oil
8 cups water

Back to top Go down

Post  JustLikeAmmy Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 pm

B0nsaiPrincess wrote:Chris - Thank you for your suggestion! I did the paper test and there were indeed moving specs on the paper as well as on the tree's foliage.

Jim - After poking around in the soil, I noticed that part of the trunk is barried so maybe that's why I saw them in the soil? I'm not sure.

I read about a mixture that is suppose to be gentle enough to spray a fukien tea with. I'm thinking about trying it. It calls for:
1 tbsp dish soap
4 tbsp veg. oil
8 cups water

I have a similar mixture I have in a water bottle I've just prepared in case. I used it once on some mildew/fungus I thought I had, and it hasn't gotten any worse, but not better either so I'm thinking it's not even mildew. I used mostly water, and a couple drops olive oil/teeny tiny baking soda.

Let me know if you try yours--I'll let you know if I try mine!
JustLikeAmmy
JustLikeAmmy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Be sure it is SOAP. That may be too much oil -- espcially if the tree is placed in the sun.

Rodale's "Natural Insect and Disease Control" has several recipes and other more-or-less non-toxic solutions.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:38 pm

I often get scale on my teas... Typically on undersides of leaves as well as flower buds. Have never had issue with pests in the soil though. Usually I hit each of the teas with Safer Soap once or twice a year at the first sign of trouble... and no more issue. It's recommended for many pests. I use it on the teas b/c it's not too harsh, and in my experience teas love to drop leaves any chance they get. Once I give it a thorough spray, making sure to get every part of the tree and foliage I'll follow it up with a good misting of water to help rinse off the soap.

Look into it, might be a solution to your problem.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:17 am

it is just a mite - they will be breaking down matter in the soil.

is the tree unhealthy or suffering?........if not dont fix what isnt broken.

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  C.A. Young Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:41 pm

I know this is a late reply, but there are several species orbatid mite that resemble spider mites. Most live in soil and feed on decaying organic matter and the algae that often grows in damp soil. They are harmless to the tree, but might indicate overwatering. Check out the following:

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/soil_mite.htm

C.A. Young

Back to top Go down

Tiny white bugs in soil? Empty tiny little white bugs

Post  taylor76 Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:57 am

B0nsaiPrincess wrote:I was checking my fukien tea to see if it was ready to be watereded and I noticed that there are tiny white bugs in the soil. They almost look like they could be spider mites, but I was under the impression that they live on the tree and not in the soil. What could these bugs be and what should I do to get rid of them?
Thanks!
--Gabrielle

there prolly springtails and Ive heard there good for the soil cause they break down the fungi in the soil [img][/img]

taylor76

Back to top Go down

Post  milehigh_7 Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 am

my guess would be fungus gnat larvae...

milehigh_7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down