Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai

3 posters

Go down

Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai  Empty Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai

Post  v1493 Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi!

I got a Ficus Bonsai last week, and it seemed perfectly fine. As the soil was completely dry, I watered it the next day, and many tiny microscopic insects came to the surface of the soil, and then crawled back down. When I lifted the pot from the plate (where the water drains), there were several of those tiny bugs crawling around. Now, my leaves are beginning to develop brown spots, which eventually cover the entire leaf. I'm new to the Bonsai world and I would love to keep it healthy- would insecticide work, or does the plant have to be re-potted? Shocked

v1493

Back to top Go down

Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai  Empty Re: Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai

Post  fiona Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Can you post a pic please as it helps people identify the bug and make suggestions for getting rid of it.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai  Empty TINY WHITE BUGS AND SPOTTING LEAVES IN FICUS BONSAI

Post  v1493 Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi,

There is no way that I can take a picture of the bug- it's so tiny, it's almost microscopic! They kind of look like a smaller version of lice, and are relatively quick as they run right back into the soil when watered. I will take a picture of the brown spotting leaves.

v1493

Back to top Go down

Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai  Empty Re: Tiny White Bugs and Spotting Leaves in Ficus Bonsai

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:20 pm

start with insecticidal soap available at any garden center and most home improvement stores...
spray the plant to the point of run-off and hit the soil too...
repeat in 10 days
and again in another 10 days for 3 total treatments...

that gets 'em in their different life cycles (such as if they are scale)

that should take care of it, but if not then onto stronger measures...

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down