Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Ficus please!

3 posters

Go down

Help with Ficus please! Empty Help with Ficus please!

Post  BonsaiIssues Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:59 am

Hello everyone new member here I'm in desperate need of help, My wife came home with this Ficus as a surprise and I have no idea what to do with this thing '' besides getting it into a better soil and pot '' does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? was thinking a trunk chop to re shape but don't know where... please any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Help with Ficus please! 4002h
Help with Ficus please! 4001p
Help with Ficus please! Bonsai3008

BonsaiIssues

Back to top Go down

Help with Ficus please! Empty Re: Help with Ficus please!

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:30 am

Hi,

This is a ficus retusa.
If you just "got" it, I'd say to leave it alone for now.
You can do the repotting if you wish to get an idea of the root system and if it needs some improvemement or some work to toughen up.

I'd leave off the cutting for later on.
Let it get used to it new environment = your home/garden, and let you get used to its growth cycles.
Its no use stressing the tree by chopping it and reducing its chances of survival in a new environment right away.
When stressed the leaves might turn yellow and fall off.
Place it in a place with plenty of sunlight. It is rather forgiving in terms of soil moisture [ at least the one I have ].
When you see new shoots coming up, you can give it a chop or haircut.

You could air-layer it to get two pieces instead of just chopping off.

It has a nice trunk movement, so personally I could keep it as it is, and change the inclination angle.
You have an aerial root that's already present. Some light cuts and a humid environment [sphagnum moss or perlite] could encourage it further more.
You could get a semi-cascade style or windswept style... its up to your imagination I guess.

What you should really look into is the cuts almost hidden at the apex.
There seems to be some bad cuts, typical of a mallsai, at the apex.
It might be nothing, but its worth giving it a closer inspection and decide if this part needs some special care.

That's about it...
Have fun
Cheers
Xavier
Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiIssues Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 pm

xtolord wrote:Hi,

It has a nice trunk movement, so personally I could keep it as it is, and change the inclination angle.
You have an aerial root that's already present. Some light cuts and a humid environment [sphagnum moss or perlite] could encourage it further more.
You could get a semi-cascade style or windswept style... its up to your imagination I guess.

That's about it...
Have fun
Cheers
Xavier

Hey thanks for the reply and advice if I wanted to go semi-cascade when the plants healthy enough where would you recommend making the chop?

BonsaiIssues

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I wouldn't. This tree just isn't a semi-cascade. I know it seems we force our trees into any number of unnatural positions, but most of us look at and listen to the trees we have and let them be pretty much what THEY want to be -- perhaps with a few embellishments, of course.

Besides, your wife like this tree. Better not make it into some other tree. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiIssues Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm

JimLewis wrote:I wouldn't. This tree just isn't a semi-cascade. I know it seems we force our trees into any number of unnatural positions, but most of us look at and listen to the trees we have and let them be pretty much what THEY want to be -- perhaps with a few embellishments, of course.

Besides, your wife like this tree. Better not make it into some other tree. <g>

Hi thanks for your input, what would you suggest doing with this tree as far as styling? should I just put it in a Bonsai pot? any advice would be great, thanks.

BonsaiIssues

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm

It seems an easy informal upright. If you wire and pull down the branches to a more spreading position, and change the planting angle a bit when you repot, I think it can be quite nice. Get Jerry Meislik's book -- Ficus the Exotic Bonsai -- www.stonelantern.com.

Search this site for Ficus bonsai and see what has been and can be done with these trees. But do take into account those trees grown in the tropics. We won't manage anything like those up in our climate. Just enjoy them.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down