Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aquarium Decoration - any use for root over rock?

+4
rock
fiona
bonsaisr
Ryan
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aquarium Decoration - any use for root over rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: Aquarium Decoration - any use for root over rock?

Post  Poink88 Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Ryan wrote:I'm shooting for an epiphytic style tree, as Jerry has done in this article:
Ryan,
As I told you on another forum, epiphytic style (new word to me) is better with a tree like driftwood and not a stump. Think tanuki-ish since your tree will integrate itself to it. I grew up in an area where the mountains have these majestic formation and the pics you see through Google is nothing compared to what I've seen. Sad that they are mostly gone now due to logging and tobacco farming. Sad

Growing it on a stump will look wrong (or very juvenile) until the stump is gone. Imagine how big could that tree be if it is only growing on a stump. True, that there are huge stumps, but imagine what the viewer will feel/envision. JMHO.

Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Decoration - any use for root over rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: Aquarium Decoration - any use for root over rock?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Ryan wrote:
Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Ryan

Is there no reason why you dont want to use a regular nice rock????.....the deadwood will give you a tanuki to work with, witch is a diffrent type of style...I am sure you can find information on tanuki here on IBC...... The deadwood will soon decae in the humid inviroment you give the tree.

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

I'm shooting for an epiphytic style tree, as Jerry has done in this article:

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/EpiphyticCreate.html

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/EpiphyticCreate.html. This page does not exist any more....at least not on my pc.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm

If you click on the link at the bottom of your post Yvonne, it reroutes to an obsolete site. If, however, you move your cursor a centimetre or so up and click on the link at the bottom of the bit you quoted of Ryan's. it works fine.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Thanks Fiona, it works Smile

Hi Ryan

Can you make a rough drawing of how you expect your tree to look in 10 years?...how do you expect the top to become, and look like?, as Jerrys photos does not show an example

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Poink88 wrote:
Ryan wrote:I'm shooting for an epiphytic style tree, as Jerry has done in this article:
Ryan,
As I told you on another forum, epiphytic style (new word to me) is better with a tree like driftwood and not a stump. Think tanuki-ish since your tree will integrate itself to it. I grew up in an area where the mountains have these majestic formation and the pics you see through Google is nothing compared to what I've seen. Sad that they are mostly gone now due to logging and tobacco farming. Sad

Growing it on a stump will look wrong (or very juvenile) until the stump is gone. Imagine how big could that tree be if it is only growing on a stump. True, that there are huge stumps, but imagine what the viewer will feel/envision. JMHO.

Good luck!

Thanks Dario. That is such a shame about the logging and farming, such a waste of beauty. I'm not sure I agree with you saying it would look wrong or juvenile, I still think it'd make for an interesting look. As to using a stump, I don't see why or how the kind of wood used would matter. Even Jerry himself used a stump, not driftwood Wink

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:
Hi Ryan

Can you make a rough drawing of how you expect your tree to look in 10 years?...how do you expect the top to become, and look like?, as Jerrys photos does not show an example

Kind regards Yvonne

I don't have a vision in mind of how I want the tree to look in 10 years, I'm just wanting to shoot for a different design, and however it turns out will be fine with me Laughing

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:31 pm

dario, I agree with you, on a stump that big, unless its an absolute giant ficus, anything else is going to look like a seedling crawling up a stump of a tree. Not only immature but likely unattractive as well. A smaller diameter possibly taller piece of wood would allow a younger plant pull off a more successful epiphytic style. I dont think rotting out is a problem (as long as it doesnt rot so fast that the tree cant form a cage around the object first) a lot of my favorite giant ficus on safari were ancient stranger figs with a hollow chimney up the middle where the victim had once grown.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:dario, I agree with you, on a stump that big, unless its an absolute giant ficus, anything else is going to look like a seedling crawling up a stump of a tree.

Yep, and I'm more than fine with that for a few years. I don't plan on showing this anytime soon, if ever, so looks don't really concern me.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi Ryan

I could imagine it works, if...You plant more small young ficus arround the deadwood, and let their branches cross again and again, make sure they fuse.....wait and see what happens Smile
Aquarium Decoration - any use for root over rock? - Page 2 Img_4811
Let my photo with Willy, and the awesome strangler from China, inspire you...I would have loved to try the stunt at home, if I only had a place for the tree, in the house....but sadly, I can only have 3 ficus indoor.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:01 am

Great picture Yvonne, thanks so much for that. That is certainly inspiration Very Happy

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  georgereece Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:31 pm

I think silk flowers & plants are the best accessories for decorating aquarium. You should also go for it..

silk plants and flowers | artificial orchids

georgereece

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2