Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Root over rock

4 posters

Go down

Root over rock Empty Root over rock

Post  Abshire74 Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:13 am

I've decided to try a root over rock and I need a few pointers. Here is the rock I would like to use. I'm just not to sure about what type of tree would look best. Thinking of a pine or juniper.

Root over rock Imag0113[/url][/img]

Last edited by Abshire74 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pictures incorrectly uploaded)

Abshire74

Back to top Go down

Root over rock Empty Re: Root over rock

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 am

Your rock might work, but I think I would go for a more a rougher stone so the roots have something to hold onto. As to trees, Ficus is probably easiest, but pines and junipers can be used.
As to timing, we are past the season to work on the roots of pines and Junipers in Florida, I am not sure about So. Cal.
The technique is to get a deeper pot, fill about 1/2 full of soil, place stone, bareroot tree and spread exposed roots over stone and then fill pot with soil to the base of the tree, after the tree is growing well, we are talking months here, the soil is gradually removed to expose the roots on the stone.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 pm

we are talking months here,

Longer, with pine and juniper (and most other temperate zone trees).
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm

I have an elm over rock and it is very happy, but it makes sense to use a type of tree that might be seen clasping a rock in nature, like pine. I used wet raffia to wrap the roots around the rock. Over time it will decompose into the soil that you have it planted in, but by then the roots will have become accustomed to being around the rock. In a year or two lift the rock/tree as a unit and inspect the roots. If there isnt a good union of the roots to the rock, you can always use raffia again. If the roots are beginning to cling to the rock, put it back in the soil but plant it higher to begin to slowly expose the base of the tree and the top of the rock. Over time the feeder roots will be concentrated on the lower part of the roots/rock and most of the rock can be exposed above the soil. Be sure and take pictures to document the stages you take it through.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Root over rock Empty Root over rock

Post  Abshire74 Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 am

Thanks for all the good advice. Since I'm planning on planting in a shallow pot(eventually) I will probably use a tile inside the large pot so the roots grow out vs down.

Abshire74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down