Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small green spores(?) on trees

4 posters

Go down

Small green spores(?) on trees Empty Small green spores(?) on trees

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to bonsai and have been given a half dozen trees of mixed varieties (and stages of "doneness") as a gift from a more experience bonsai-er. Anywho, they're away for a while and I've come up with a few questions that I don't seem to be able to find answers for with simple google searches or hunts of the forums.

First one I'll post here, the other is more of a care related question so I may post that elsewhere instead.

I recently noticed that a few of the trees (including an Eastern White Cedar - Thuja occidentalis, and some kind of juniper for which I'm unsure of the species, but it might be Juniperus chinensis) have a tiny green spore-ish like growth on some of the leaves. It's a tiny green pod on a long thin filament and it sticks straight off the leaf or branch bit it's growing on. I'll include some pictures, but mostly I'm trying to identify what the growth is and if it's harmful and any specific treatment instructions that might accompany it.

Small green spores(?) on trees 100_6415

Small green spores(?) on trees 100_6412

Thanks!
T Martin

Back to top Go down

Small green spores(?) on trees Empty Re: Small green spores(?) on trees

Post  coh Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Looks like they could be lacewing eggs...see google images of lacewing eggs If this is what it is, it's a good thing, as lacewing larva are predators.

Not sure if other insects deposit their eggs this way.

Side note...I saw one of the larva (you can google that as well) on one of my plants the other day, didn't know what it was but it looked like something that would eat other bugs. Now I know!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 pm

I wish you'd indicate what we're supposed to be seeing. These old eyes don't see anything unusual in those -- somewhat blurry -- photos. A little red arrow will help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm

I had a tough time finding them, but believe this is what he is referring to (inside red circles):

Small green spores(?) on trees Egg111

Small green spores(?) on trees Egg210
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Yes coh the spots in the circles are what I'm talking about. Sorry Jim that I didn't indicate the objects more clearly. Sad

They do indeed look very much like the pictures you linked for lacewing eggs though mine are a pale green colour. Seeing as these appear to be beneficial I'll just keep an eye on them and see what happens. Perhaps they'll help as well with some of the scale infesting some of my segregated trees too. <fingers crossed>

Thanks!
T Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Sorry I have nothing to add other then my fascination for those cool eggs. What a neat way to lay them.

Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Small green spores(?) on trees Empty Small Green Spores

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Everything has a purpose. Lacewings lay their eggs on these little stalks because if they were just laid on a branch, the larvae would eat each other as soon as they hatched. This way they get a chance to disperse & look for other prey.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down