Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alcove display

4 posters

Go down

alcove display Empty alcove display

Post  dick benbow Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:47 pm

In a few days it will be official "summer". In anticipation, I have changed the scene in my scroll to a man fishing a cold mountain stream eminating from the mountains snow melt.

The deep forest bonsai shares it's coolness as a place to rest in, during the heat of the day.

the wise old owl is holding off it's search for dinner till the dropping temps of the evening begins.

Instead of switching from hot tea to iced, I may have to stick with hot tea to sip just to keep warm as I contemplate the scene,alcove display Img_2320
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

alcove display Empty Re: alcove display

Post  dick benbow Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:43 am

sent the picture to my teacher.

said without the words accompanying the photograph, he was not sure this cool message would necessarily come thru. said the owl should have been placed more forward of the forrest.

This is so much (display) of what i'm really motivated to learn. normally after all this time, when i keep banging my head against the wall, i stop cause it hurts.

With display I just keep trying Smile

(maybe i'm getting hard headed) Smile LOL
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:56 am

Is the owl sitting in the forest viewing the fisherman (the designer) or should the owl be viewing the forest and the fisherman from afar (the teacher). I can see both viewpoints. In the second, I am the owl.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:29 am

Its great to see displays being posted.

There are a few things that I would like to ask, why is there no material on the table?, is this balance the way you have been told to display eg the scroll being to the right of the image. For me the better image would be the accent on a seperate stand over to the right and the scroll in the middle.
I like the idea of the fisherman and the cold stream, Its a good out for using a person in the scroll.
Can you take a photo level with the image rather than looking down on it.

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I posted the originl picture, not that i consider myself anything more than a student, as a way to be open to input from others.
Our study group is for bonsai, so the focus on display is minimal, much to my dismay.
I have two areas of display in my home. A tokonoma in the living room for entertaining quests and an alcove in my library for my own satisfaction. The living room is where the scrolls are always centered and the display is formal. The library is for me and i like to work for personal tastes which lean informally.
Chris I did try and get you a table level photo. I had disassembled the display, so put it back together a little differently...
Marty, I never considered thnking I was the owl, only how it might balance with the other elements. In the new pic I seem to be anxious to return to the forests.
I really appreciate having some back and forth....thanks to you both. Sometimes it takes many voices, so others are always welcome to contribute.alcove display Img_2321
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I can definately feel the angst to get back to the Forest from the Owl.
I feel the forest is to far away from the scroll, and both the Owl and forest is placed to much on the edge of the table, I feel it is going to fall off.

But beautifull .
Try more....
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Andre, thank-you for your comments. I think your "too close to the edge" is a honest concern. I think the forrest is a bit too big in proportion to the space on the table ( 56 inches) and pushing it closer to the scroll might give a sense of crowding, ruining a simplistic display. So I will have to try and find something more in scale.

I'm off to Oregon about a 6 hr drive south to participate in a Koi function, this weekend.

When I get back, We'll have to continue Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down