Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wiring brazilian raintree

5 posters

Go down

wiring brazilian raintree Empty wiring brazilian raintree

Post  s.jones Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:05 pm

I just wired my young brazilian raintree in the flat top style and want to know how long to keep the wire on. this is my first wiring job. It's been a week. I just don't to damage anything. any advice?

s.jones

Back to top Go down

wiring brazilian raintree Empty Re: wiring brazilian raintree

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm

No experience with raintree but in general, you will have to watch how fast your tree grows/thickens and ideally, remove the wire before it bites in the branch. You may have to rewire if it did not set.

It is tricky though (optical illusion) and sometimes, it is way too late before you can tell. It happened on my logwood ...I have been checking it regularly but when I decide to remove the wire a month after, more than 1/4 of it is already in the bark affraid
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 pm

s.jones wrote:I just wired my young brazilian raintree in the flat top style and want to know how long to keep the wire on. this is my first wiring job. It's been a week. I just don't to damage anything. any advice?

Raintrees can grow fast this time of year in southwest Florida and one month may see enough growth to cut. Have you asked Erik?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  LordEOfBeckley Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Just watch it closely and use common sense. Being in S. Fla also, mine thicken up rapidly and therefore generally need the wire removed within a month or two. I've accidentally lost track a few times and had the wire dig in quite a bit, they seem to heal up the "wounds" pretty fast.

LordEOfBeckley

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 pm

What I've been doing with Erik's Raintree (which is what I call it now) is wiring the supple new growth while still green then removing the wire when I start to see the branch harden off and turn a bit grayish. I find the bigger thicker branches seem slow to set in place.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down