Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brazilian raintree (before and after)

+4
Robert Steven
drgonzo
hiram
Lazaro Quintino
8 posters

Go down

Brazilian raintree (before and after) Empty Brazilian raintree (before and after)

Post  Lazaro Quintino Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 pm

I consider myself very lucky when in March of 2008 I purchased this Brazilian Raintree from Erik Wigert for an extremely reasonable price. He had just acquired this tree along with many others from a gentleman who retired from bonsai due to health reasons. Since Erik did not have much time invested in the tree he let it go for what I consider cheap. It was definitely an ugly duckling at the time. It had large wounds from pruning cuts that Erik had just made and the foliage was fairly sparse but it just needed TLC. Flash forward to almost exactly 4 years to date and the tree has come a long way. All the large cuts have since completely healed, the tree has grown significantly and was placed in an oval Sara Rayner pot. I have to significantly cut it back on a yearly basis because it is such an aggressive grower. Here are the before and after pictures. Enjoy

March 2008
Brazilian raintree (before and after) Raintr12

March 2012
Brazilian raintree (before and after) Raintr13

Lazaro Quintino
Lazaro Quintino

Back to top Go down

Brazilian raintree (before and after) Empty Re: Brazilian raintree (before and after)

Post  hiram Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 am

Nice progression and yes you were very lucky. He would sell that same tree today for over a thousand dollars in. Great job. cheers

Last edited by hiram on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelled)
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Brazilian raintree (before and after) Empty Re: Brazilian raintree (before and after)

Post  drgonzo Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:44 am

Good find, nice roots and trunk. I Just bought one of Erik's Raintrees myself and in working on the tree today I noticed just how hard he was pruning in order to try to maintain the taper. You've done good service by this tree.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:54 am

One of the best Raintree I have ever seen...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  xuang26 Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:41 am

Brazilian raintree (before and after) 31703410

one of the Malaysia bonsai player plant - Brazilian raintree

xuang26

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 am

Very nice Xuang, thanks for sharing. Hope to meet you early June in Subang exhibition...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  xuang26 Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 am

Yes sifu...see u in June's Competition.
Remember bring me ur unique mame premna lor...haha Smile

xuang26

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:10 pm

xuang26 wrote:Brazilian raintree (before and after) 31703410

one of the Malaysia bonsai player plant - Brazilian raintree

Xuang,

This tree is not a Pithecellobium tortum (brazilian rain tree). It is a close relative, Caesalpinia ferrea, a Brazilian leopard tree.

Kind regards and thanks for sharing,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Very nice tree!

It is probably the lighting/shadows/shot angle but I miss some branches in the original tree that I cannot see on the recent pic.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Brazilian raintree (before and after) Empty Brazilian raintree (before and after)

Post  Lazaro Quintino Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks for your very kind words Robert.

It is not the lighting Dario but I do need to do some additional pruning. I realized after I took the photo yesterday that the first branch on the left is not visible. This first branch has tripled in girth since I purchased the tree and the wire marks have all but disappeared so it is an important part of the tree that needs to be displayed. Thank you
Lazaro Quintino
Lazaro Quintino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Great job Lazaro. I really like this tree as well.

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm

jrodriguez wrote:
This tree is not a Pithecellobium tortum (brazilian rain tree). It is a close relative, Caesalpinia ferrea, a Brazilian leopard tree.

Jose,

What features identify Xuang's tree as Caesalpinia ferrea instead of Chloroleucon tortum (which I believe is the current correct classification for Brazilian Raintree)

thank you
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down