Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olive Root Cutting

+4
Sakaki
my nellie
Poink88
akhater
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Olive Root Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Olive Root Cutting

Post  Guest Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi Akhater

Any update?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:20 pm

The black bag is really a must?
Nemphis
Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:28 pm

It contributes greatly..., therefore you could say it must be used.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:34 pm

my nellie wrote:It contributes greatly..., therefore you could say it must be used.
I still cannot see a reason for it. Bagging I can understand for humidity but black? You need light for the leaves to function. If you argue the darkness helps sprouting...HOW? There are no leaves to begin with.

Again, I may be missing something but as of now...I don't think it is any better than clear and I actually think it is bad since you cannot monitor inside and if growth comes without removing it, you will have dead leaves.

If the argument is for heat retention for the roots I can see that but then, you have to make it clear since some areas (like TX), we have more heat that the ideal temp for roots to begin with.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  theBalance Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:53 pm

hi Dario,

the dark bag helps because when the tree has no light it sprouts stronger

BUT

it is used during the winter time !!! ( the tree is cut in November, put in black bag until February and then from February to April with a clear bag )
if we would of use it in the summer the temperature inside is to high
theBalance
theBalance

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 pm

theBalance wrote:the dark bag helps because when the tree has no light it sprouts stronger
EDIT IN: I hope this reasoning didn't come from seed germination (like bean sprouts) because it is totally different from cuttings or collected trees.

I am still not convinced about this. Even if it is true, leaves sprouted in the dark are usually "weaker"/more tender. They are more likely to burn later if exposed to sunlight too.

Choose your poison I guess but for me, I want the leaves to see light ASAP.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:12 am

My olive is actually doing great although the growth are not exactly where I would like them to be Very Happy

Do you think I should repot it this year or give it one more season to grow stronger?

thanks

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Glad to hear that!
I'd say leave it alone. Let it grow free. Do not disturb it!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Thank you my nellie for the reply, there are a lot of shots at the base and the few on top are rather weak.

Should I cut the suckers ?

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Would be helpful to post some photos.
I am a beginner, reading, testing and gathering information/knowledge. So take my words for what they are worth...
The more green you have the more root growth is going on under the soil.
I'd say you can remove the suckers anytime later, so let them be and hopefully you will get more new shoots on the main trunk.
But wait for more advanced suggestions.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I will remove some of the suckers so that the upper shoots will grow more; otherwise the suckers will surely take over. Do not repot.

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Experiments were carried out on the effect of temporary dark exposure on adventitious root formation (ARF). Histological and metabolic changes in the cuttings during the dark treatment and subsequent rooting in the light were recorded. Excised cuttings were exposed to the dark for some days and followed by a rooting period in perlite. Dark exposure prior to rooting increased, accelerated and synchronized ARF. The rooting period was reduced. Also, despite the reduced rooting period, dark-exposed cuttings produced a higher number and length of roots than non-treated cuttings. Root meristem formation had already started during the dark treatment and was enhanced during the subsequent rooting period. Levels of soluble sugars (glucose, fructose and sucrose) and starch in leaf and basal stem tissues significantly decreased during the days of dark exposure. This depletion was, however, compensated during rooting for soluble sugars in leaves and the basal stem, respectively, whereas the sucrose level in the basal stem was increased. The association of higher carbohydrate levels with improved rooting in previously dark-exposed versus non-treated cuttings indicates that increased post-darkness carbohydrate availability and allocation towards the stem base contribute to ARF under the influence of dark treatment and provide energy for cell growth subject to a rising sink intensity in the base of the cutting.
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Thank you so the plan is for this year fertilizering and next spring repot

sounds good

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:14 am

Not top notch quality pic but just a souvenir of how it is looking