Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident maple root cutting?

2 posters

Go down

Trident maple root cutting? Empty Trident maple root cutting?

Post  jon hultgren Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 am

Does anyone know if trident maple will send up new shoots from root cuttings. I ask because I was doing some work potting up bare root seedlings and one of these trees had a long taproot with some side roots that needed to be removed in order for the seedling to be able to fit into the pot. I am not a hundred percent sure this is a trident as there was no identification on the bundle, but those seedlings that had started putting out leaves appeared to be tridents to me.

I took the taproot section home and potted it up in hopes that it sends up new growth. I potted this in a plastic cascade type pot as it was all I had on hand. I ended up leaving a small portion of the root above the soil. Is this the right way of attempting this or should I bury the entire root.

I also don't know if this would even be the right time for attempting this but I figured it was at least worth a shot.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by jon hultgren on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more)
jon hultgren
jon hultgren

Back to top Go down

Trident maple root cutting? Empty Re: Trident maple root cutting?

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:45 am

It is the right time and it is worth a shot, but I've not had any luck with trident roots. Elms, on the other hand, are coming up all over my vegetable garden, where I dug up the parent trees last year, from little bits of left root.

With most trees you need a bit of mature root, or even base of stem/trunk at the top for them to be able to produce buds.

Last edited by Kev Bailey on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jon hultgren Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks kev. Guess I will cross my fingers and hope for the best then.
jon hultgren
jon hultgren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down