Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora)

+7
jolz
Russell Coker
marcus watts
Poink88
JimLewis
luc tran
jong
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora) Empty Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora)

Post  jong Mon May 07, 2012 3:57 pm

My friend and my newly hunt dwarf santan. thank you and god bless.
Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora) Img_1214

My Shohin Materials:

Hard to find big single solid trunk santan.
Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora) Img_1215

My biggest merged trunk santan.
Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora) Img_1216

The santan in our house, 25 years old santan.
Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora) Img_1217

Last edited by jong on Tue May 08, 2012 6:04 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Update the photo.)

jong

Back to top Go down

Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora) Empty Re: Very old Dwarf Santan (Ixora)

Post  luc tran Mon May 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I see a lot there! Smile

Hope they all thrive.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Smile hope they all thrive. The santan is older than the person who hold it. Older than my grandmother. i bought this santan in the flood prone area. all this materials are shohin. hehehehe. Smile

Last edited by jong on Mon May 07, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additional info.)

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Looks like a nice tree.

I DO always wonder, though, why people need to dig up so many trees at one time. Seems a bit greedy and wasteful. The trees weren't going to go away..
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm

i just saved these trees, because the place will be bulldozed again soon, a lot of of santan were destroyed the last they bulldozed the place, because they wanna replace the plants already. Smile thank you.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Can't see the pics right now but will comment on the trees tonight.

Like you, I also "rescue" plants. Sometimes I collect more than I need or out of season but they will die or be killed if I don't take them so I do. I hope other people be less judgmental and verify first.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm

JimLewis wrote:Looks like a nice tree.

I DO always wonder, though, why people need to dig up so many trees at one time. Seems a bit greedy and wasteful. The trees weren't going to go away..

often Jiim it is about £$£$£$£$£$$£$£$£$£$ -

......... Like you Jim the greed aspect in a minority of our hobby leaves a bad taste - In all our countries a small number of individuals seem to think they have more rights than every other citizen to remove 10's and even 100's of totally wild trees for nothing more than their own greedy profit making schemes.

(These actual trees may not be planned for sale of course, only the author can qualify why they took a truck load).
EDIT - to save from clearance and certain death is another reason of course , but i still stand totally by the above reason that many trees are over collected - and a collector should only do what they do if they are able to increase the plants chance of survival
Cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 pm

marcus watts wrote:often Jiim it is about £$£$£$£$£$$£$£$£$£$ -

......... Like you Jim the greed aspect in a minority of our hobby leaves a bad taste - In all our countries a small number of individuals seem to think they have more rights than every other citizen to remove 10's and even 100's of totally wild trees for nothing more than their own greedy profit making schemes.
I agree but that doesn't give us the right to judge others. How about fishermen, loggers, miners, etc. Believe it or not, the world revolves over profit and I won't judge anyone as long as they are not doing anything illegal.

Most people cannot relate how hard others try to earn an honest living...to eat. I dare you to live it first then tell me selling these rescued trees is wrong.

Not an attack...just emotional about some stuff.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm

No offense taken at all, and yes Dario - many of the industries you mention rely on the removal of wild things which are sold for profit - and they are licenced, regulated, have quotas, size limits, tax returns!, and protection to ensure the indescriminate decimation by prevoius generations does not occur again.

It is when a greedy minority think they can rape nature for nothing more than personal profit that it becomes wrong - a tree happily on a mountain, or a wild marsh or a desert does not need rescuing and it never will. Plants that will be cleared or burnt for development, are just runts in commercial plantations etc are perfect material for hobbyists to play with.

as for living it - everyone has to provide for their family and loved ones - thats what most of us have to do every day...... its just the greedy ones who think they have a god given right to destroy our natural resources that should not be tolerated.
(in the bonsai world and every other industry mentioned)

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks Marcus...but you (or Jim) probably cannot relate how it is in a 3rd world country. Where no matter what you do, how hard you work...in the end of the day, you might still not have enough to feed your family. We are not talking about steak or lobster here...just plain rice and maybe a piece of fish. No luxury...just plain survival.

When you are in that situation and you see this "OPPORTUNITY" I bet you won't let it pass you by. Maybe then you can buy your daughter a hamburger for a change. How I wish others live it to understand...even just for a month (honestly, most "sheltered" people might not survive that long...I don't even know if I can now).

The government you describe is also (sadly) still a dream because the politicians, police, and military (among the wealthy) are the ones who rape the country the most.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon May 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Let's get off the philosophical aspects of collecting (god, hasn't that dead horse been beaten enough around here?)and back to the material. So, does anyone know what the hell a "santan" is? Genus/species, anyone?

Jong, it would be nice to know where in this great big world you live. You could add that under your name.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Russell Coker wrote:So, does anyone know what the hell a "santan" is? Genus/species, anyone?

Jong, it would be nice to know where in this great big world you live. You could add that under your name.
Santan is Ixora...not sure what Jong have (but probably Ixora coccinea Linn) and he lives in the Philippines.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 pm

jong wrote:i just saved these trees, because the place will be bulldozed again soon, a lot of of santan were destroyed the last they bulldozed the place, because they wanna replace the plants already. :) thank you.

Well, That is a very legitimate reason!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 pm

How about fishermen, loggers, miners, etc.

How about them? Most marine fisheries (pelagic and coastal) are overfished and severely depleted. Clearcutting temperate forests and logging tropical forests for uni-crop agriculture and exotic woods are very damaging. Miners are responsible for vast wastelands of mined lands and toxic water pollutants. So these weren't your best arguments.

And, Poink, I spent a good deal of my life in third (and fourth) world countries -- mostly in Asia. It was breathing their air that got me where I am today. (and please note: VERY few of them like to be called third world -- even when they clearly are.)

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear a legit reason for taking those trees -- though I wonder how long they stayed out in the air with their roots exposed.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon May 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Jim,

LOL. But you just pointed my argument. We are talking about small fry compared to those (fisherman, loggers, miners). It is all driven by greed and profit and we all use/buy their products. Wink Marcus just have so much faith in the government (bless his heart).

Working there, getting paid US wages is not really "living it" though. Sorry to hear that caused you medical problem. I wonder how those you left behind (living there) are now?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 1:13 am

Poink88 wrote:Thanks Marcus...but you (or Jim) probably cannot relate how it is in a 3rd world country. Where no matter what you do, how hard you work...in the end of the day, you might still not have enough to feed your family. We are not talking about steak or lobster here...just plain rice and maybe a piece of fish. No luxury...just plain survival.

When you are in that situation and you see this "OPPORTUNITY" I bet you won't let it pass you by. Maybe then you can buy your daughter a hamburger for a change. How I wish others live it to understand...even just for a month (honestly, most "sheltered" people might not survive that long...I don't even know if I can now).

The government you describe is also (sadly) still a dream because the politicians, police, and military (among the wealthy) are the ones who rape the country the most.

Dario,
I remember once somewhere in this forum, I said I employed gardeners and other workers. some people reacted negatively, thinking I am some sort of lazy aristocrat LOL. and I have to explain that I am really just trying to save some stomach from getting hungry and trying to send some kids (children of the workers) to school....but still it seems it is very hard for some people to understand where we are coming from.

That is why I am avoiding as much as possible to take photos of some of people watering or doing chores in my garden, Some people won't really understand it...so, don't push it to much my "third world" brother!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 1:16 am

Jong,
very nice and huge santan you got there...can you spare me a couple? I really love this tough specie.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 am

Jun,

Gotcha Bro.

May I water you plants when I come home? I'll do it for free too...but that will take someones living away so never mind. Let's just have some beer and pulutan (on me) while discussing and watching the trees LOL.

Man I am getting old...beer and pulutan used to be associated with dancing ladi.. not bonsai! No lol!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am

JimLewis wrote:
How about fishermen, loggers, miners, etc.

How about them? Most marine fisheries (pelagic and coastal) are overfished and severely depleted. Clearcutting temperate forests and logging tropical forests for uni-crop agriculture and exotic woods are very damaging. Miners are responsible for vast wastelands of mined lands and toxic water pollutants. So these weren't your best arguments.
.... VERY few of them like to be called third world -- even when they clearly are.)

Jim...

Who addressed us as "third world" or "far east"? surely it is not us!-------I HATE TO BE CALLED THIRD WORLD. it is very offensive for some people.
Oh I wish you know what you are talking about!!!

If you really lived here Jim, Who do you think owned the huge mining companies here? Do some research and you'll know, We have some recent event here involving "Marcopper mining company" one of the biggest foreign company here owned by the "first world" country-Canada, They left after killing the natural resources of several towns by "accidentally" spilling toxic chemicals in the river, several decades later and until now the river is still poisoned...and so many other mining, fishing, logging etc. companies owned by the "first world" counties exploiting our natural resources.

...Be careful Jim, sometimes you are crossing the line, by thinking you know everything.

Your third world buddy,,,who's been and lived at many "first world Countries" including yours,
Jun No

Sorry guys, I am just offended....%#$@!****!!!!!

Last edited by jun on Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue May 08, 2012 1:47 am

Jun,

I started the 3rd world reference so I will own up on that and I apologize.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 am

Poink88 wrote:Jun,

I started the 3rd world reference so I will own up on that and I apologize.

No Dario it is not you who addressed us as third world...This very offensive word that connotes a country I mean and I really mean an entire country (including every cities, every nooks and crevices and every CITIZENS,Billionaires (by world standard) rich, middle class and the less fortunate ones) as uncivilized, less educated, that always needs help of the richer country, and people who can't feed their own mouth, this term came from somewhere else and we know who.

In the beginning the word THIRD WORLD describe countries that are non aligned with US and it's ally (First world) or USSR (Second world) during the cold war,,,So by that reference the Philippines is not a third world in the beginning because we are an American ally ever since the beginning of the 19th hundred. but later on some poorly educated fellows used the term to associate it negatively with the very poor nations.

.....The proper term now which is politically correct (and less offensive) is "Developing countries"

regards,
jun Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 am

Thank you Dario, Jun, Jim, Marcus and Russell.

I updated the photo. i'm very inspired with your santan jun, that's why i try to find santan materials. Thank you so much to all your comments. God bless.

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 2:29 am

jong wrote:Thank you Dario, Jun, Jim, Marcus and Russell.

I updated the photo. i'm very inspire with your santan jun, that's why i try to find santan materials. Thank you so much to all your comments. God bless.

Thanks Jong!

It is very difficult to find one with very good "foundation" character.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 am

Hope they all make it.

I remember my old elementary school lined with santan but last I went home, they were all gone and the the old hedges and open spaces were replaced with new buildings. I remember sucking on the flowers one at a time when I was a kid. LOL I recall they are always in bloom.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 3:10 am

I am sure they will survive. This hedge plant is very tough. I don't recall killing one. Always 100% survival rate. but very difficult to get thick branch, based on the size that the guy on top of the truck is holding It would take more than 4 years maybe 6 yrs to get the right proportion of branch...already a lifetime wait here compared with other tropical trees. others we can have show quality trees in just 2 year time.

..but it will form branches in about 5 months and will bloom in less than a year.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next