Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

+15
Sakaki
my nellie
Wendi
tmmason10
Andre Beaurain
Rui Marques
akhater
R3mco
pongsatorn.k
Neil Jaeger
John Quinn
Poink88
moyogijohn
Jerry Meislik
xuan le
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Empty Re: Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:27 pm

After the weekend with workshop and demo by Will Baddeley have i hollowed out the acershohin....I may do a little more later, but right now will I just need to look at the work for a while...( I think I finished the work)

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_0612

This little " Kojou-no-mai " prunus sucker was found in a pot, with a second bigger dito.....It was very thin, and was almost thrown out...I had a hollow stone, and placed it in it, just for the fun....I have been on the brink on throwing the little "stonetanuki- nonsens" out many times...But suddenly did it look sweet, and the pot did a lot too....I was not planning to show the tree here, but i just found out something interesting about this prunus..It clasp exceptionel well to the stone Very Happy ...

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_0613
The tree stands 13 cm tall.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Empty Re: Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

Post  tmmason10 Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Beautiful. The acre really came out nicely.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:29 pm

tmmason10 wrote:Beautiful. The acre really came out nicely.

Hi Thanks...I am just a beginner in carvings, and to have this feedback, means a lot.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendi Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:

I am just a beginner in carvings, ..

Hi Yvonne,

very well done !!!
I'm also a beginner in doing carvings and wished to being able to do in a similar way!

And the tamarix also is very nice. I like these plants very much, but not seen until now as a shohin ThumbsUp

Kind regards
Brigitte

Wendi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Wendi

To make "natural" carvings, are not easy at all....I have studied other peoples way to show nature, and also have I looked at dead wood for many years....I dont know if I ever become a good carver...but now i started up, and I will see what happens...maybe i just stop again......on the acer have I later made tiny adjustments, and work I did on my own on a large workshop hawthorn, have I just remade, as It was not convinsing at all, now the two ends look more natural......Today have I worked on a olive...it was great fun, as I had to combine lines in a natural deadwood, and round bumps in the trees natural design...

Kind regards Yvonne....I hope to see your deadwood work here on IBC

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:24 am

This little ulmus glabra was started up from a seedling in 1990.
It is standing 13.5 cm tall, in its John Pitt pot, and is beginning to look finished. It has taken a while Smile
Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_1418

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:09 pm

One more beautiful tree of your shohins, Yvonne!
How long is this ulmus' "while" though?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi alexandra

I am happy, you like my little tree.
I have worked- or just had this tree in my care, since it was a nothing...22 years now Smile.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 pm

It is a little big shohin. I like it Smile
I also like the combination w/pot.
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:25 pm

To keep the internodes short, on a small acer campestre shohin, am I removing the 4 small leafs that protect the leaf when it is a bud.
This procedure is hurting the fresh young branch, and set back the growth of it.
Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_2414
all done
Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_2415
almost there
Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_2416
The tree as it is now.....Keep the tree in sun and wind, then will it work the best....in rain and no wind, will it not work very well Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:To keep the internodes short, on a small acer campestre shohin, am I removing the 4 small leafs that protect the leaf when it is a bud... ...
I have just read this new advice of yours, dear Yvonne!
Thank you one more time for your generosity in sharing!
A good friend of mine have sent to me two small acers sempervirens or cretan maple (named after the Greek island of Crete). Do you think the above procedure can be applied to this variety, too? ...after a good decade of years of course Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Alexandra

I dont think there will be a problem to do the same with your tree...also already now.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:... ...also already now.
Thanks for the clarification, Yvonne.
I have misunderstood and thought this thinning is to be done at later stages of styling...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:34 pm

it can help to shorten the internodes on the future trunk Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Yvonne thank you for the advice on shortening the internodes of Acer campestre. A friend gave me two last January, for me to try again after having given up on them years ago. Now I will have another go at them.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 10460656823_bc6f15b317_c
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:47 am

I have also used a difrent way to shorten the internodes on acers...I have a couple of regular acer palmatum...they shoot very easily 7 or 8 cm before the next bud appears, a very long internode for all trees.

For theese acers, and some others have I tried to just cut the too long internode just behind the next buds, just leaving the soft long new branch without a bud....then the tree shoot again, and maybe is this internode just as long...cut off Again, leaving the long soft branch....the tree will shoot again, and then will it become shorter, if not enough, do it again...it will in the end of the year give some  problem for you, as you need to clean up the shotbundle, but is not a big problem. as the branches you cut, was very thin and soft, and almost dissappear by it self....there will be a number of dormant buds to remove too.

I have used this a couple of years, as the palmatum was very dificult, and I a kind of gave it up...but it appears it work very well this way.

I dont know how it will work on campestre...

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:59 am

The Little ulmus from the top of page 3, is not a glabra, but a minor, sorry the mistake...the taper did not realy develope during last summer...So, I have cut it back, to make the trunk more sumo...found a new front, and trimmed the Crown, followed up with a little vire, and a new pot.
Tre little trees made from seed and seedling - Page 2 Img_4610
The tree is now standing 11 cm tall...not much  Smile ...now...Spring please arrive, and may the summer be nice and long.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Yvonne, reading this entire thread has given me inspiration to keep growing the "little ones". Thank you, I really admire your work!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 am

Hi Todd

Only happy to inspire...bonsai does give HOURS of quiet happines in the garden  Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:05 am

Yvonne your tree is awesome. you did the right thing.  Surprised 

I must agree with Todd, you also gave me inpriration to shorthen many of my trees, which now, gives me endless pleasure to looks at.

But Todd also inspired me to grow smaller and smaller trees..

Congrats Yvonne!

Love and Light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:30 am

Andre Beaurain wrote:Yvonne your tree is awesome.  you did the right thing.   Surprised 

I must agree with Todd, you also gave me inpriration to shorthen many of my trees, which now, gives me endless pleasure to looks at.  

But Todd also inspired me to grow smaller and smaller trees..

Congrats Yvonne!

Love and Light

Smile Smile Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:38 am

Todd Ellis wrote:Yvonne, reading this entire thread has given me inspiration to keep growing the "little ones". Thank you, I really admire your work!
Todd

Hi Todd,
Show us yours "little ones".
Cheers.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 am

Rui Marques wrote:
Todd Ellis wrote:Yvonne, reading this entire thread has given me inspiration to keep growing the "little ones". Thank you, I really admire your work!
Todd

Hi Todd,
Show us yours "little ones".
Cheers.

I am sure Todd have shown us hes trees in a topic...you just have to find it Rui.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  tranbac Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 pm

very beautiful tree. Congratulations,

tranbac

Back to top Go down

Post  kirk@localbonsai.com Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:25 am

some of the healthiest crab apples I've ever seen! wat's ur secret ?
kirk@localbonsai.com
kirk@localbonsai.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next