Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

+15
Sakaki
my nellie
Wendi
tmmason10
Andre Beaurain
Rui Marques
akhater
R3mco
pongsatorn.k
Neil Jaeger
John Quinn
Poink88
moyogijohn
Jerry Meislik
xuan le
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Empty Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 am

Hi everybody

A few of my trees are now showing their leaves...I hope you like them Smile

This Acer campestre is 16.5 cm tall.
I found it in the nature when it was a 1 year old seedling. It as been my tree for 21 years now.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0315

The next 2 Malus was seed I planted in a pots in 1992...They are both 20 years now.

The red small leaved malus is 12 cm tall.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0316

This normal leaved Malus is 25 cm. tall...it has had flowers sinse it was 8 or 9 years old.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0317

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Empty Re: Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

Post  xuan le Sun May 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Very nice shohin, I like the Acer campestre very much.
Thanks for sharing

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Empty Re: Tre little trees made from seed and seedling

Post  Jerry Meislik Sun May 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Yvonne,
These are beautiful. Congratulations.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Empty Tre little trees made from seed and seedlings

Post  moyogijohn Sun May 06, 2012 2:20 pm

YVONNE,,Very very nice trees. love the malus !!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun May 06, 2012 2:23 pm

All are very nice. Well done! ThumbsUp

I am also partial to the Acer though.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun May 06, 2012 4:11 pm

More examples of seed grown trees! Great! cheers
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 5:03 pm

MANY THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun May 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Great trees. I just wanted to ask you a question about the apple. I noticed you have some suckers growing from the base of the tree. Have you ever used them to help thicken the trunk? If so is there anything special you have to do to them? I have a apple also and it has just started growing shoots from the base also.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Niel

Yes, on this tree have I used the suckers from the base to make it thick.

I kept removing them for many years, but two years ago, did I keep all suckers comming right from the groundlevel, after middsummer did I place the tree in a big pot, and let the desired suckers grow really big...I kept them for two years, and pruned the tree as usual....this winter did I place the tree in a small pot again, and removed the suckers..this year, and in the future, am I only keeping the suckers, one year at the time, who will fill out,and give the base a nice soft line.

At least, this is my plan for now Smile

The small malus was also making suckers like it was paid for....The tree has big troubbles with getting thick, and was boring for years...some years ago, did I cave in, and cut it back. I kept the suckers for new branches, and started all ower.

Both trees have given me a lot of problems.... The green tree were bitten from bugs. Already as buds, was the leaves ruined...The red tree was keeping having new leaveclusters who turned powder/white, and died.
After I began to use Provadosticks, has the problem dissappeared. I now like to work with the trees....no headaces for me anymore Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 am

WoW WoW WoW

you are got the honor of 20 years cheers

very nice shohin!
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  R3mco Mon May 07, 2012 7:17 am

Very nice trees! Very Happy
R3mco
R3mco

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Mon May 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Niel
Yes, on this tree have I used the suckers from the base to make it thick.
I kept removing them for many years, but two years ago, did I keep all suckers comming right from the groundlevel, after middsummer did I place the tree in a big pot, and let the desired suckers grow really big...I kept them for two years, and pruned the tree as usual....this winter did I place the tree in a small pot again, and removed the suckers..this year, and in the future, am I only keeping the suckers, one year at the time, who will fill out,and give the base a nice soft line.
At least, this is my plan for now Smile
The small malus was also making suckers like it was paid for....The tree has big troubbles with getting thick, and was boring for years...some years ago, did I cave in, and cut it back. I kept the suckers for new branches, and started all ower.
Both trees have given me a lot of problems.... The green tree were bitten from bugs. Already as buds, was the leaves ruined...The red tree was keeping having new leaveclusters who turned powder/white, and died.
After I began to use Provadosticks, has the problem dissappeared. I now like to work with the trees....no headaces for me anymore Smile
Kind regards Yvonne

Thank you so much for a wonderful detailed explanation of how you go about handling your suckers.

Thanks again,
Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 pm

This little Carpinus Betulus was found as a very young skinny seedling in 2000
We had a long cold spring this year, but now can I show you the tree with leaves...the tree stands 22 cm tall.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0413

The front was supposed to be the backside many years ago, but a bud did , to my big surprice not survive, and I had to turn the tree. This "accident" is now developing a flaw, that will make the tree ugly...You can see the scar on the middle of the trunk...it is becomming fat, and is creating a kind of reversed taper....The next years will I have to correct this flaw....I already started two minutes ago....bonsai is never boring Neutral

This Malus Sylvestris was a skinny rootsucker, who to my surprice had developed a root or two....I found this tree in 1991, the tree is 13.5 cm tall

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0414

This Spiraea Nipponica is diffrent...I found it in a gardennursery last year....The tree was in a big pot, and stood a meter tall.
I took a chance..cut it back to 9.5 cm, and placed it in a small pot...no need to say, I took a LOT of care of it this spring.

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0415

It will become a nice shohin in the future...small nice leaves, and small flowers...look forward to see what will become of this tree.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Thu May 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Thank you Yvonne for posting these !!

Such an inspiration cheers

Gosh a long road awaits me but if it leads there what a motivation

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2012 6:25 am

Hi To all you young guys, who has all the time in the world in front of you Smile

It does not take that long time....some of theese trees was nice already some years ago......
The Acer campestre won " Best Shohin" in Denmark 8 years ago...It is still same sice, but more fat and dense now.
In 2005 did Tony and Terry give the Malus Sylvestris the price as the " Best Shohin" in Denmark ...this is also still the same sice, but more fat and dense.
The Carpinus Betula, was in my very first shohinshelf in a danish exhibition in 2005.
Last year was it ready for exhibition again, but had developed the beginning of the flaw...So I did not show it....After looking at it for one year, and thinking... have I now started up, the working away of the flaw...I am going to use this species natural growinghabit...If I do a clever job, will the tree have outgrown the flaw, and improoved in the owerall frame in a few years...and only time will make it better.

It is things like that, who makes the bonsaigrowing interesting to me.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am

Yvonne could you please highlight the main phases or steps you do with seedlings ? what I mean is that do they spend time on the ground or only in pots? how often do you work the nebari in the early stages ?

thanks again

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

Hi Akhater

I keep the seedlings in pots all the time. In the beginning is it big pots, and a lot of growing up, and cutting back is done. A coupple of times, am I during the summer, removing the surface soil to look at the roots...if one root have grown stronger than the other roots ( taken ower), will I look for the first small root comming from the strong, and cut right after...I just leave the rest of the strong root in the pot, or remove what I can see, without disturbing more. In the winter will the rest of the cut off root be removed. Roots will be cut...weak roots stay long.

Also is there a LOT of removing of unwanted buds all summer, and sacrificebranches is being developed, in the beginning right from the lower part of the trunk, later from the 3 lowest branches....I do not make them like other people normaly do..I found out, it is better to take a sacrificebranch from 1/3 of the branchlength from the trunk...this give taper on the branch, and allows you to create fine branching on the rest of the branch....also do I prefer, if the sacrificebranch commes from the backside of the branch, the scar will then not be visible. A sacrificebranch must be removed during the winter, as scars will become too big...new ones will be developed during next spring, not in exacly the same place.

Does this make a bit sense?...othervise just ask again

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Fri May 25, 2012 10:58 am

Thank you so much for this write-up

I've been doing bonsai for a couple of years but I am still a total newbie. The concept of bud selection is not new to me but I have never done it.

I don't want to pollute your post but maybe I will open a couple of my own and hope for your, and others, guidance. I know how boring it should be to lead someone step-by-step but, where I live, bonsai is virtually nonexistent so the only way for me is to learn online

Cheers and thanks again

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 25, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Akhater

If I miss out a post of yours, can you pm. me, and then we can talk, no problem.

When I started up back then, had I never seen a real bonsai, only photos in a book I borrowed. It was a book from Peter Chan, showing trees beginners fairly easy could make...it made me confident I could do it...then I found a book full of drawings from John Naka, and I was compleetely sold...now I HAD to make theese trees, and I began to figure out how to create them....I had no help from anybody, I think I worked with them 5 years before I actully meet a person who had bonsai. Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am

This little Tamarix is in the 5th. growing year. It stands 12 cm. tall, and is in a pot for the first time Smile

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0419

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0424

The oval pot is not suitable for this kind of tree, next year will it have a round, and being placed on a low round stand, if in exhibition....The tree is new as bonsai, and does still have some fairly big scars....later this year, when I am sure the roots have filled the pot well, will I place it in a bigger pot, to help it become fatter, and more mature.

The next tree has the same sice now, but I want it to become bigger....

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0422

This is the tree seen from the side, with a good look to the backside...BIG sarcrificebranch, very close to the roots. I will not remove it untill I am sure, it is one with the roots
Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0423

This tree will be heavy feeded Smile .

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:27 am

This 7 cm tall Cotoneaster horizontalis was found as a very skinny new seedling in 2002.
The little tree is full of hope looking to the horizon for better summerweather...but it is so cold, and today is it also raining....No summer in Denmark this year? Crying or Very sad

Tre little trees made from seed and seedling Img_0429

But the flowers still arrive as usual, and maybe the weather will be better next week Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi Yvonne,

Same in Portugal, almost Summer but spring temperatures... Rolling Eyes
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 am

Yvonne I like your Tamarix very much, it is gorgeous!!!
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  akhater Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:01 am

Yvonne every tree you post makes me wanna go on Smile

thank you for the motivation

akhater

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks guys

I look forward to see your results, from many happy hours in the garden

kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next