Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinyon Pines

+12
Bob Pressler
Miguel Pérez
Rob Kempinski
NeilDellinger
bonsaisr
Dwight
Sam Ogranaja
Walter Pall
PaulH
jupitermininginc
JimLewis
Cordon
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pinyon Pines Empty Pinyon Pines

Post  Cordon Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:23 pm

An earlier post discussing the merits and disadvantages of Ponderosa pines reminded me of a question that I've had for some time.

Has anyone had any success using Pinyon Pines as bonsai subjects? There was a discussion of the pinyon on Bonsai Tonight. However, I've never seen any examples. Pinyon general category that describes several species that grow all over the western US. They tend to be extremely hardy trees and extremely drought tolerant.

This spring I intend to try collecting a couple small pinyons to see how they fair. If they fair well, why spend money on Japanese red and white pines?

Thoughts?

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Pinyon Pines Empty Re: Pinyon Pines

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 am

Hearsay only, but I'm an old Arizonan, and have been told they are very hard to keep alive in a pot.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Pinyon Pines Empty Pinus edulus

Post  jupitermininginc Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:58 am

So long as the needles aren't too long, I figure native is best. The art form is Japanese but the trees need not be. They should like your climate best with low humidity summers.
jupitermininginc
jupitermininginc

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:11 am

Mike Hagedorn had one I remember reading about. Check his website.
http://crataegus.com/
PaulH
PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  Cordon Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 am

Since Pinyons are desert plants they can probably be over watered quite easily in pots. All I can do is give it a shot I guess.

The pines have nice short needles and could make handsome bonsai one day.

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Where are you getting the plants? They'd be hard to dig since they are desert plants. Lots of LONG heavy roots with fine roots at their ends.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cordon Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Jim,

The area I plan to try and collect is an Arroyo on BLM land, basically a desert wash. My thinking was that, when it does rain, these areas see more water and would likely have a shallower root system. I'll also keep my eye out for trees growing in a confined area that might have a fully contained root system.

We'll see however. If I can't find fine roots I won't bother digging the tree. I will try and collect seed and see what I can accomplish with that.

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Pinyon pines are very good for bonsai. They have short neeldes and often quite promising trunks and deadwood. We use them more and more at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrsiburg, Pa. They must be in very well draining substrate. Then they can almost NOT be over watered. We water them evry day like hell and they look much better than they ever look like in the Rockies.

Here is our best Pinyon pine.

Pinyon Pines Qdsc_921

Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Walter Pall wrote:Pinyon pines are very good for bonsai. They have short neeldes and often quite promising trunks and deadwood. We use them more and more at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrsiburg, Pa. They must be in very well draining substrate. Then they can almost NOT be over watered. We water them evry day like hell and they look much better than they ever look like in the Rockies.

Here is our best Pinyon pine.

Pinyon Pines Qdsc_921

Wow, those are short needles indeed. Has there been any needle reduction work done on this pine or is that natural foliage?

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Dwight Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:01 pm

They don't need any needle reduction. The needles are naturally very short ( 1" ) .

Dwight

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Is it possible to collect Pinyon pines in June?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:49 am

Although I've not grown one myself. A friend in Tulsa has a couple that were collected in New Mexico. They've been thriving in pots for years.

Upon seeing these trees grow for a couple of years, I recall they back bud extremely well when given good feed and watered normally in well draining soil...just a Walter suggested.

Very rugged little trees.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:15 am

The foliage is clearly better than ponderosa, simply by being much shorter. In captivity the foliage will be even more short after a couple of years.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Dwight Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm

bonsaisr wrote:Is it possible to collect Pinyon pines in June?
Iris

March or April is much better. I had one given to me years ago that had been pulled out of thhe ground ( seriously ). No small roots. I put it in bonsai soil , misted and watered it and it lasted until I left it out in -2 F weather. Grew like crazy after the first year. Good ramification and backbudding as Walter saays

Dwight

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Does anyone know: will anyone be selling collected pinyon pines in Denver? Does anyone in Albuquerque sell them? I will be in Albuquerque in June, right before or after the convention. If I dig up a pinyon pine then, is it a guaranteed loss or does it stand a chance?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 am

bonsaisr wrote:Does anyone know: will anyone be selling collected pinyon pines in Denver? Does anyone in Albuquerque sell them? I will be in Albuquerque in June, right before or after the convention. If I dig up a pinyon pine then, is it a guaranteed loss or does it stand a chance?
Iris

You can buy a Pinyon pines at nurseries in the west. There are some in the Denver area such as http://www.coloradotreefarmnursery.com/stock/evergreen-trees/
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Miguel Pérez Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:29 am

Hello all,

I got these two Pinyon Pines (Pinus cembroides edulis) from seed last year. Since we don´t have trees available to collect, (we don´t have pretty much a thing regarding bonsai, no nurseries, no clubs, no bonsai stores) basically if you want a tree the only source is seed. I have been reading that it is a waste of time to start a conifer from seed, unfortunately no options here. 85% Zeolite 15% pine bark. I water them on a daily basis and 3X fertilizer dose every week.

Pinyon Pines Photo110
Pinyon Pines Photo_10

Miguel.
Miguel Pérez
Miguel Pérez

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:27 am

Since there seems to be so much enthusiasm for collected pinyon pines, I was hoping to snag one while I am out there. No local version of Andy Smith?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Cordon Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:41 am

Walter,

Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have thought that there was great potential for some time, small needles, tendency for low branching, hardy, and nice bark.

I'm glad to see that this has generated some interest in a Native American species. They grow literally everywhere in NM, from the Rio Grande valley to 9000 feet, clay, sand and cracks in rock. They don't seem to care. They also grow in CO, UT, AZ, CA, Mexico, TX... all over the place. The real trick is going to be finding some worth the effort of digging with decent chance of survival.

Miguel,

It's never a waste of time to start from seed. Only your final goal matters.

I'll post pictures of my potential subjects. These will be my first collected pines. I plan to dig in march in my area. I'd appreciate any advice that the group would be willing to offer.

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 am

A few collected ones are available at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrisburg, Pa. There will by more by the end of March just before Woodstock V from March 30 to April 1.
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Walter Pall wrote:A few collected ones are available at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrisburg, Pa. There will by more by the end of March
I was wondering about that, in case New Mexico is a bust.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dwight Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:45 pm

There are a few people in the Albuquerque club who own pinons but no one collects commercially. You might Google the club and try to contact some of the members who live in Albuquerque or Santa Fe.

Dwight

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:25 pm

I did contact the club. No response.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:27 am

Collecting in NM in June is not a good idea.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I've been told by a local enthusiast that Pinyons are hard to keep here where we get a lot of spring-fall rains. Doesn't like to be wet. Yet Walter's Pinyon I'm sure gets a lot of rain...so I'm not sure at this point. But I do love them! Wink
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next