Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy

+8
drgonzo
Rob Kempinski
Bob Pressler
Poink88
Russell Coker
coh
fiona
marcus watts
12 posters

Go down

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy Empty Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi,

Yesterday I had to drive about 400 miles to meet a customer and I knew a little detour (less than 15 miles Very Happy ) would put me at one of the UKs larger bonsai nurseries - Newstead. I'd read there was a proper '50% off' all trees sale ending in a week as the nursery is relocating, and I knew from a previous visit there were some awesome trees that you really struggle to find in the Uk these days at realistic prices. I spotted a few of the specimen trees that had left an impression previously and the price tags were all the same, and they were all halved Very Happy Very Happy

I love that feeling of excitement when looking for the tree that shouts out at you from the bench.....I did 3 circuits and had a 10 tree shortlist ! - there were 2 tempting cuspidattas, a rigida that would be great to work with, a selection of excelent maples and pines.......and at least 5 totally wow yamadori junipers.

Next circuit of the benches and your eyes fade out the other trees so you only see the 'hit list' trees, now i'm down to 4 junipers and a taxus cuspidatta - the yew came 5th, now its time to play the pros and cons game......4 yamadori junipers - one very big one with so much potential, one that just oozed class (it was itiogawa grafted to yamadori at a very famous nursery), one equally good compact twisted tree but still with its own longer blueish foliage and an amazing, elegant slanting tree with a hollow trunk and plump but narrow perfect live viens.

I love the next stage of picking a tree - I balance the price, the potential finished image and the time scale needed - that knocked the big one out of the running. Then I factor in putting my own mark on a tree - it doesnt excite me to buy a tree that just needs maintaining as it is, someone else has had all the creative fun - so the grafted itiogawa is off the list as it was just about finished - but it was the most refined tree of the 3 (and i just saved a few pounds as it was the most expensive).

One on one.........the unbelievably twisted trunk of aged natural deadwood with compact but slightly looser blueish 'wild juniper' foliage or a very elegant fluid trunk - hollow, cracked aged wood and a tighter foliage of deep green? (it turns out to be the older yamadori juniper chinensis sargentii). In the end trunks were equally good, branches were equally good, so down to the foliage - and the sergentii won. The best 2 hours i've had in ages........... Laughing

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy 01511

I picked the tree as it has all the refining and fine tuning to do, but it has all the branches, foliage and maturity that takes decades to achieve. First thing to do was clean up the algae attached to the trunk base and to remove all the moss

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy 01710

I charged up my electric toothbrush and donated it to the bonsai tool kit - very soon the algae was off in every nook, cranny and hollow

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy 02310
Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy 02210

tomorrow i will lime sulphur the trunk base if it is a dry day and then do a virt breaking up the large foliage masses into smaller pads so the heavy upper left area is broken down into pads and spaces. The tree has an amazing bend near the top so a space needs making so the viewer can get a glimpse of this feature too. The brown lumps on the foliage are the forming flowers that will dust pollen over everything in the spring - if the tree makes fruits they will be cut off as they will weaken the branches.

over the next few years the outline will be pushed in smaller and tighter by about 20-25% but this will be done gradually as these very old trees dont like to be weakened too much, and there is no rush to force the final image.

Thanks for reading the story

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy Empty Re: Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy

Post  fiona Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Nice one, Marcus.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy Empty Re: Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy

Post  coh Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Yeah...that's a really nice tree already. Looking forward to it's future evolution.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

Beautiful new baby, Marcus!!! You done well.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 am

Nice! Great find and I now wonder how the others look like!

I love watching projects like this...educational and entertaining. Please post as this progresses and thank you for sharing.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:31 am

Russell Coker wrote:

Beautiful new baby, Marcus!!! You done well.

Thanks everyone,
i'm still grinning ear to ear, and i think it was the most gentle 400 mile drive home i've ever done Laughing

I just been playing with photoshop until it gets light and came up with a little neatening up of the pads; this is the way i'll aim to go i think.

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy 01610

cheers
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 am

Very cool find. That'll help many a happy hour pass.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Great find Marcus,
I like the narrower canopy in your virtual. Works well.

And the electric toothbrush - what a great idea. We have one just sitting in the cabinet. No more!!!!
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote: And the electric toothbrush - what a great idea. We have one just sitting in the cabinet. No more!!!!
It's fine as long as you wash it before you give it back to the missus.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm

I cant believe he can track down a tree like this in 2hrs time! Master level stuff Very Happy
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Marcus
A very beautiful tree. Really a successful trip. Very Happy Very Happy
Congratulations to catch.

Gretings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:22 pm

fiona wrote: It's fine as long as you wash it before you give it back to the missus.
OOPS ! Laughing

Thanks Jay,
To be honest I think there are only one or two places in England where you could find several trees like this to choose from all under one roof, (at a possible price). The trees were imported from Japan originally by Danny Use at the Ginko bonsai centre, Belgium. John then visited and selected the trees he wanted for Newstead. The luck was to be able to detour there when the sale was on Laughing - (sort of by design but dont tell Mandy haha)
I have found pictures on the website of the tree newly delivered in 2008, then initial styling in 2009 and further styling in 2010 for the Newstead 4 exhibition.
Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy New_ju10Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy Aug-0910Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy Newste10

John worked the tree into its present design and had it as part of his personal collection. He gave me excelent background information about how the tree had settled in, how the foliage is now forming the tighter growth that comes with life in a pot, and a lot of really interesting Juniper facts.

cheers everyone, I'll do my best with the refining cheers

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Yamadori Juniper - a winter sale moment of joy Empty Yamadori juniper

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 am

A Really good find and buy....I know you will injoy this one a lot !!!take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 am

Very nice tree! And I like it the way it is going...

Please be sure to treat the deadwood at the rootbase sufficiently!
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  manosvince Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Very very nice! What are you gonna do with its seeds ? (wich by the way give a nice yellow shading on your tree Smile )

https://servimg.com/view/17207525/21
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Hans Vleugels wrote:Very nice tree! And I like it the way it is going...

Please be sure to treat the deadwood at the rootbase sufficiently!

Hi Hans -
Yes I will -as you can see it is essential to the design to keep this base from rotting any further - the trunk is totally hollow at the bottom so i am going to use a 'modern' wood preserver/ hardener on the insides - some type of complete preservative I think. I was also going to brush the soil away from the trunk base and treat the wood that is under soil level with the same compound before replacing the soil. I will use lime sulphur for the exterior and visible deadwood - i tend to do this annually on my other old juniper so will do the same with this tree.

Hi manosvince
Yes the tree is very heavy with flowers at the moment - i will cut off every seed when they are small and not fully formed as their production would make the tree branches weak when i want them very strong to make better foliage pads. (I cut off all seeds from all my trees before they form for this reason.). As you say though the appearance of the tree is changed by the brown 'pollen balls' - it is nice to see a seasonal change to an evergreen tree Very Happy

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down