Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE

+4
marcus watts
Rob Kempinski
cram
Robert Steven
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE - Page 2 Empty Re: ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE

Post  marcus watts Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 am

[quote="carlos"]
Robert Steven wrote:

Premna in Europe? Will it survive? In my opinion, I believe that depending on the country, they won't survive the cold. Just a thought...

Hi, Yes of course they survive, we make the contidions to keep the species happy and alive - for some people they are kept as indoor trees - like many ficus sp here, and for others in milder parts of europe they can remain outside for 8-9 months and indoors just for the main winter. several of us now have powerfull grow lighting to give proper light (and warmth) to our sensitive trees. I have just last week bought my bouganvillia indoors, but it has sat outside without problem until now.

Some people go to great effort to make sure their trees are happy - i know of ficus that go out in the sun for the day and are bought in again for cool nights.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 am

That's great Marcus. But another question is if you can easily import plan from other part of Europe as UK is not the EU member, just a question...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:08 am

Robert Steven wrote:That's great Marcus. But another question is if you can easily import plan from other part of Europe as UK is not the EU member, just a question...

Hi Robert,
it is easy to import trees for personal use, to import for business needs more paperwork.

This is the Defra-Fera government guidelines:
bonsai import to UK

it lists the 'banned species' list and quaranteen requirements for Non EC countries,
section B is the requirements for business use of the trees ie re-selling, these need 'plant passports'
section c is personal travellers - they are basically exempt from other restrictions with trees for personal use - some countries you can have 5 trees at a time, other countries no limit.

Strictly speaking it is very easy to collect the trees in person from EC countries and come back to the uk with them as you are using the travellers concession rules, i think if they are posted the plants are supposed to have the passport. In the past I have gone to Holland for the day to collect some trees!!

thanks, Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 am

Great Marcus. When they arrived in the country, I will let you know as my friend is importing those Premna for sale.
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:09 pm

[quote="marcus watts"]
carlos wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

Premna in Europe? Will it survive? In my opinion, I believe that depending on the country, they won't survive the cold. Just a thought...

Hi, Yes of course they survive, we make the contidions to keep the species happy and alive - for some people they are kept as indoor trees - like many ficus sp here, and for others in milder parts of europe they can remain outside for 8-9 months and indoors just for the main winter. several of us now have powerfull grow lighting to give proper light (and warmth) to our sensitive trees. I have just last week bought my bouganvillia indoors, but it has sat outside without problem until now.

Some people go to great effort to make sure their trees are happy - i know of ficus that go out in the sun for the day and are bought in again for cool nights.

cheers Marcus

Well, repectfully, this is not always the case. Some coastal species will "live" in confined indoor micro-habitats, but they will not thrive. Premna, Pemphis, Conocarpus and Casuarina being among them. Although a strong grower, Premna is a tree that weakens easily if it does not have the right growing conditions. Growth will become sparse, internodes will be huge and insect problems might arise. Ficus is an exception, although indoor grown ficus never display the vigor and exhuberance they have while growing in their own habitat.

I think Rob Kempinski described it best as "Zone Envy", which I might add, is a bit difficult to overcome. I believe that, in an old post, Mr. Pavel Slovak did mention that he tried Premna unsuccesfully in the past. I will search his posts to corroborate this as a fact.

By the way, I mean no offense by this. I have toned down a bit in an effort to contribute to diplomacy and good behavior in the forum. Anyhow, every now and then I might slip and make combative comments!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Merry Christmas,

Carlos

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Carlos, it will survive in some countries... For sure, it will survivein Florida, but just no way to ship to USA now. Too complicated... Mad

Robert,

I have collected premna in my collection. I bought it in Malang, Indonesia a few years ago. Some of the branches I removed have been rooted. They also display good shari and jin.

Kind regards,

Carlos

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:18 pm

carlos wrote:By the way, I mean no offense by this. I have toned down a bit in an effort to contribute to diplomacy and good behavior in the forum. Anyhow, every now and then I might slip and make combative comments!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Carlos

Why should Carlos ?
Constructive argument and discussion are much better than dishonest courtesy... Laughing

Last edited by Robert Steven on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 pm

carlos wrote:Robert,

I have collected premna in my collection. I bought it in Malang, Indonesia a few years ago. Some of the branches I removed have been rooted. They also display good shari and jin.

Kind regards,

Carlos

That's great. Can you post it here to share ? I'd love to see how they grow there..
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Here are among those that will go to Europe...

ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE - Page 2 _mg_9613

ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE - Page 2 _mg_9710

I love these...esp the 2 on the bottom pic. drool.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 am

Carlos, I have been trying to reply your PM several times, but failed. If you got this message, please email me : robertbonsai@hotmail.com

Wishing you a wonderful New Year...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:25 am

Robert Steven wrote:Carlos, I have been trying to reply your PM several times, but failed. If you got this message, please email me : robertbonsai@hotmail.com

Wishing you a wonderful New Year...

Hello Steven. Carlos has been asked to post pictures on the forum on many occasions, to no avail.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:53 am

will baddeley wrote:Hello Steven. Carlos has been asked to post pictures on the forum on many occasions, to no avail.

What do you mean Will ?
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:52 am

Robert Steven wrote:
will baddeley wrote:Hello Steven. Carlos has been asked to post pictures on the forum on many occasions, to no avail.

What do you mean Will ?

Meaning most people won't take him seriously...but it is all up to him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:01 pm

jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

What do you mean Will ?

affraid .... drunken
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:08 pm

jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

What do you mean Will ?

Will and Jun,

I have made it clear in my last few posts that I wish not to be combative and I have toned down my remarks in an effort to contribute to recent wishes of a more civilized forum. I believe that both of you made replies in support of that idea. I will not be pulled in by the sinister character of your remarks and will not be triggered to begin an online war. From the start, I made it clear that I do not post my trees because I feel they are not ready, not because I cannot handle criticism. Constructive comments are what make us evolve as artists. Many silent reders of this forum have approached me, in a positive way. To those silent readers, my grain of sand is useful, as well as many of your contributions have been. Neither of you know me, so I ask for your forgiveness if I have offended you. But I also ask that you not try to demean me as a person and ruin my reputation with a person (Robert) that I respect as an artist and a scholar.

For further commentary, please see my preious reply on this post. Those who grow and understand the habits of the species I have listed know that my recommendations are serious and valid.

Carlos

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Carlos,
As a fellow member of the forum I welcome you with open heart as co equal in everything in this forum. Most of our trees posted here are not show ready trees,
and even if you have bonsais or not even have a single tree is is still ok to be part of this or any other forum,Having a tree or not, or not wanting to show any tree, roots, stick, leaf, rock or pot or anything else related to trees is not the issue here...It is more of on giving respect to fellow members, And if you think you are doing that lately I am very happy for you...because you have opened up the door for more friends and mostly the door for learning more...We are all here to learn (at least for most of us).

Happy new year my friend!

regards,
jun I love you

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 pm

carlos wrote:
jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

What do you mean Will ?

Will and Jun,

I have made it clear in my last few posts that I wish not to be combative and I have toned down my remarks in an effort to contribute to recent wishes of a more civilized forum. I will not be pulled in by the sinister chracter of your remarks. From the start, I made it clear that I do not post my trees because I feel they are not ready, not because I cannot handle criticism. Constructive comments are what make us evolve as artists.

For further commentary, please see my preious reply on this post. Those who grow and understand the habits of the species I have listed know that my recommendations are serious and valid.

Carlos

Thank you for finally supplying us with a reply to a question Carlos. I will not be drawn in to the comment regarding mine and Jun's "sinister character", as I feel this is pointless and you are after all, entitled to your opinion.
What I would like to say though is, almost everyone who offers their opinion on this forum, posts their work on this forum.All levels of ability and all levels of material. So what puts you off from posting?
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:32 pm

will baddeley wrote:
carlos wrote:
jun wrote:
Robert Steven wrote:

What do you mean Will ?

Will and Jun,

I have made it clear in my last few posts that I wish not to be combative and I have toned down my remarks in an effort to contribute to recent wishes of a more civilized forum. I will not be pulled in by the sinister chracter of your remarks. From the start, I made it clear that I do not post my trees because I feel they are not ready, not because I cannot handle criticism. Constructive comments are what make us evolve as artists.

Carlos

Thank you for finally supplying us with a reply to a question Carlos. I will not be drawn in to the comment regarding mine and Jun's "sinister character", as I feel this is pointless and you are after all, entitled to your opinion.
What I would like to say though is, almost everyone who offers their opinion on this forum, posts their work on this forum.All levels of ability and all levels of material. So what puts you off from posting?

Don't worry about it, you have officially drawn me out.

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Will,

Your avatar got a "sinister Character" look...same goes with my tree avatar, maybe Carlos got a point! Evil or Very Mad

Do you have a smiling picture? I find it difficult to find one of mine...hehehe. That's why I ended all my posts here with a "smiling" smiley. Smile

Somebody even sent me a PM asking me about my avatar...a very bad PM.

regards,
jun Smile Smile Smile Smile

Robert,
My apology for these things happening in your thread.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 pm

jun wrote: Will,

Your avatar got a "sinister Character" look...same goes with my tree avatar, maybe Carlos got a point! Evil or Very Mad

Do you have a smiling picture? I find it difficult to find one of mine...hehehe. That's why I ended all my posts here with a "smiling" smiley. Smile

Somebody even sent me a PM asking me about my avatar...a very bad PM.

regards,
jun Smile Smile Smile Smile

Robert,
My apology for these things happening in your thread.

regards,
jun Smile

No problem Jun, it increases the rating... bounce
My avatar is an arguing pose as well..a classic Chinese way, exchanging bad words during chess while drinking tea... tongue
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:11 pm

...Yes all you need are "Jian" in one hand and a pot full of "Jiu" in another.
I love Chinese movies and you really looks like one of the villain in "once upon a time in China"! Razz drunken

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:01 pm

No,no... I casted a good guy Jun... Sad

ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE - Page 2 196710
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Robert Steven wrote:No,no... I casted a good guy Jun... Sad

ANOTHER DESIGN EXERCISE - Page 2 196710

Sorry. Wrong Portrayal...still looks like a Villain in a Chinese movie to me. I have seen All SIX sequel of "Once upon a time in China" Including the last last one -"Once upon a time in China and America"...Heroes and Good guys wears white Silk robe...Even the Japanese "good" ninjas wears white. hehehe! pirat

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2