Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

present from Jolz and a design challenge

+7
law
Orion
hirow08
moyogijohn
Ka Pabling
Rob Kempinski
cram
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

present from Jolz and a design challenge - Page 2 Empty Re: present from Jolz and a design challenge

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:16 pm

jun wrote:Hi IBC.

how I make the temporary "floating device". and root guides.
present from Jolz and a design challenge - Page 2 Dsc_0713

Very cool idea Jun, I have seen ficus trees in Florida raise the rock above the pot and the owners usually rechop the roots to lower the tree in the traditional manner. The floating rock has potential as a new style!!

For your tree I'd reconsider the use of the metal mesh. It will always be visible unless the roots get really full and then that will ruin the effect of the floating rock. I'd guide the roots with something organic that will decay in a few years. The rebar can hold up the rock and can be removed when the roots strengthen.

I have a ficus that I call the Aerial Circus because the aerial roots are totally enclosing a rock but the rock is not floating.

As for other movie ideas, LoTR is full of potential ideas for bonsai themes - I've used Barad-dûr, a multitrunk tower design http://www.lotrscenerybuilder.org/barad-dur_new.php, and Weathertop, the Watchtower at Amon Sûl.

The larvae stage of the Alien (when it wraps around the face of the host victim) from the movie "Alien" inspired the design of this ficus.

present from Jolz and a design challenge - Page 2 Alien_11

Plenty of other ideas other there no doubt.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2