Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai

4 posters

Go down

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Empty Hawthorn very pre-bonsai

Post  JimLewis Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:59 pm

I've dug a large (for me) Washington Hawthorn from my yard (where it was attacked by Fireblight every summer!) and have potted it into a hefty training pot. I spray it in the spring and that seems to keep the fungus away, while the even bigger one still in my yard continues to be attacked.

I've discovered that medium-size and larger branches would rather break than bend.

So . . . for those who have done hawthorn before do you use clip and grow or do you wire? If you wire, do you clip all the thorns? Washington Haws have wicked thorns.

It is many years from living in a bonsai pot, but here's what I'm working with. That straight, right-hand branch will have to have something done to it!

The trunk has a lot more taper than it looks like in the picture.

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Washin10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Empty Hawthorn very Prebonsai

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Are you sure it is fireblight? Fireblight is a bacterial disease and fungicides will do no good. For a bonsai, there may be antibiotic sprays you could use. Strict sanitation is said to be the best remedy.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Empty Hawthorn very Prebonsai

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Hawthorns can suffer with a fungal leaf curl. Certainly over here anyway. The leaves curl and distort around the edges and turn a red colour.

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Empty Re: Hawthorn very pre-bonsai

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Jimlewis

It is easy to vire the hawthorn, as long as branch, you want to bend is very young. And later, as you say not possible.
The thorns is a part of the tree, and should not be remowed, unless it is dry...also with this in mind....the young thorn have the ability to make 5 or 6 shots, usefull for new branches. Later can you cut of the tip, if you dont want to show, the shots came from a thorn.
I had this leavecurl on my craetegus, and sprayed a lot for the fungus....I almost throw out one of the trees because of that.
Peter Landerloos then told me, that the leavecurl was caused by the greenfly, still to small to detect for the human eye.....I now use provadosticks to kill the bugs before they arrive.

Kind regards Yvonne

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Empty hawthorn very pre bonsai

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:04 pm

JIM,, You got a good trunk to work with.. the branches do look big but i am sure you will fix that...will you work on it this year?? i dug a small one but in this clay it had few roots..it is still alive!! keep posting so we can see ok??? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:22 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hawthorns can suffer with a fungal leaf curl. Certainly over here anyway. The leaves curl and distort around the edges and turn a red colour.

And what do you recommend as a remedy Will please?

A couple of my smaller collected ones are looking very manky atm after 3 years of rude health.

Bugs wouldn't seem to be a problem as I Provado'ed early doors , have sprayed since and I am watchful generally.

Nice looking tree btw Jim.

If they're anything like UK hawthorn, they bud big time just after collection. I do clip and grow with a tad of wiring but then my trees are all quite early stages of development- if indeed I ever develop them at all!

Very Happy

Thks
Hawthorn very pre-bonsai Haws_x10
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello Tim. Lime Sulphur 1/30 should do the trick. Failing that, try a Copper Fungicide.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 pm

will baddeley wrote: Failing that, try a Copper Fungicide.

ahhh Copper Fungicide if only Will... have you tried to purchase any lately in the UK coz it is Banned?

I could get some off this rip off merchant! UK Ebay Robber

Anyone have any Ideas?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Banned...Since when? I bought some at the end of last year from a local wholesaler.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:20 pm

will baddeley wrote:Banned...Since when? I bought some at the end of last year from a local wholesaler.

It has to be phased out by 2013.

more info on this post here: only last month on IBC

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up Tony. I'll be phoning the wholesaler tomorrow to find out some more and perhaps put a bulk order in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi Will

I tried this recipi on an acer of mine.....Lime Sulphur 1/30 ...allmost all leaves died, and the trunk was fairly white afterwards....are you using this recipi?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Hello Yvonne. I've been using this dilution for years with no problems at all. It doesn't usually turn the trunk white though. 1 part Lime Sulphur, 30 parts water.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Will

Thanks for your answer, good to know....Maybe I mixed the solution wrong this time.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down