Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Tall Rock Planting

+3
Mitch Thomas
Neil Jaeger
jgeanangel
7 posters

Go down

A Tall Rock Planting Empty A Tall Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 pm

This project has taken some time to come together...well, maybe, to reach a starting point. I collected the stone 7 or 8 years ago. The plant material is an old shimpaku juniper that I acquired from my good friend about 10 years ago. This first video is short and describes the process of getting the stone and tree ready.

The second video documents the actual creation of the rock planting.

I will let the tree settle in for now and adapt to life on a rock while I think about ways to improve the planting in the future.

Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

A Tall Rock Planting Empty Re: A Tall Rock Planting

Post  Neil Jaeger Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 pm

This is really a nice planting. I agree with you that it does need another tree or somthing else green for such a large rock. Very nice, waiting till the right time to do this also really paid off.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks Neil!! Patience is certainly something of value when it comes to our trees.
J

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

A Tall Rock Planting Empty Rock planting

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:25 am

John
Very nice start on your rockplanting. I think it is a very good design and will develop into very nice piece.

My back feels for you, hope you don't to move it often.
Mitch

Last edited by Mitch Thomas on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 am

John, great rock great tree!
I like the composition but am concerned about the weight of the stone. Can you move it yourself? Is the nailhead pot just for looks? I cannot imagine that you would secure the stone to the pot (for fear of braking the pot)- or would you?
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey P Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

Great harmonious planting John. The finished work looks like natural yamadori on a real cliff, and a tree i would definably collect if i saw so well done. I find your videos short, simple yet you get rite to the point. You never miss an important factor. Just what us amateurs need. thumbs up Very Happy Very Happy
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 am

Wow John what a great job, it sure looks natural, thanks for the presentation Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!!

Todd...the weight is the reason why it was created in its place in the garden...its home and I don't plan on moving it:) The pot does not provide any function to this planting.

Thanks again guys...
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am

I think this is a great case for "less is more." I wouldn't add a thing.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Good stuff again, John. It all looks so real if you see what I mean. Look forward to seeing it after it's greened up a bit more. You've also given me a great idea for a similarly sized rock I have lying about the garden.

140lbs - blooming 'eck! That's my target weight. Mebbe I'll not eat any more of this chocolate bar I'm currently munching.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down