Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROCK PLANTING

+4
JimLewis
Carolee
Norma
mike page
8 posters

Go down

ROCK PLANTING Empty ROCK PLANTING

Post  mike page Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm

The rock is from Japan. The tree is j. procumbens nana from 5 gallon nursery stock. The tree has been in bonsai training about 15 or so years. The height including the Jim Gremel pot is about 24 inches.

Mike

ROCK PLANTING Horseh10
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

ROCK PLANTING Empty Re: ROCK PLANTING

Post  Norma Sun May 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Hello again, Mike....

I keep coming back to look at an outstanding duo !! Each is awesome ..... BUT to me they fight for attention.

If the juniper did not have jin between it and the rock, it might fit more closely and conversely the stone was not so intricate to blend with this interesting tree. Perhaps even a lower rock would be the answer!

As you know I'm very interested in worthy viewing stones and yours could stand alone! You said it is from Japan, do you know from where it comes and it's geological makeup?

Thanks for sharing !

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sun May 24, 2009 5:22 pm

While I agree with Norma, I find the
fight for attention
to increase my appreciation of the whole. In nature this happens. The rock could certainly stand alone (as could the tree), but in my examination of the rock, I find it pushes my attention back to the tree, and then the tree back to the rock. Overall, the wildness of the composition speaks to me. The tree is fighting to survive in the shadow of the rock. It pushes to the rock, and then dies, making the jin. The position of the moss ties the rock to the ground, and the light patches of the rock speaks to the light patches on the trunk. The color of the gravel matches the color of the rock at its base, and this focuses the eye of the trunk. I like it! BTW, I see a horse in the rock, and its nose is pointing down and almost pushing on the jin Norma speaks of as between the rock and the tree.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sun May 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Norma wrote:Hello again, Mike....

.As you know I'm very interested in worthy viewing stones and yours could stand alone! You said it is from Japan, do you know from where it comes and it's geological makeup?

Thanks for sharing !

Norma

The rock was brought from Japan about 15-20 years ago by a bonsai master to use in a rock planting demo. A friend won it in the raffle. The trees on the rock didn't do well, so after a few months they were removed and put in bonsai pots. They have since thrived, and become show pieces.
The rock was originally 1/3 taller than now. My friend had it standing in her garden.
a big wind storm blew it over and the top 1/3 broke off. She offered the lower 2/3 to me, which I quickly accepted as I knew I had a tree to attach to it.
I don't know anything about the origin of the rock.

Mike

Last edited by mike page on Mon May 25, 2009 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sun May 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Carolee wrote: BTW, I see a horse in the rock, and its nose is pointing down and almost pushing on the jin Norma speaks of as between the rock and the tree.

Carolee, for many years I have referred to it as my "horsehead" rock.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:59 am

I figured out a way to move the tree to in front of the horsehead without removing it from the rock. The main changes were cutting off some jin branches so the tree would move easily around the rock and fit in close.

ROCK PLANTING Horse111
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:45 pm

I like it better in your new setting. Good job.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Mike,
I think the second set up is better too.

Now, I do not portend to be an expert in rock and tree plantings, but here goes: Is is a bad idea to have a branch/pad crossing over the rock in the front going the other direction, say halfway up the trunk? IMHO, that would help to put the tree out in front of the rock, and the overlapping would help break up the negative space.

It is still a great composition, I am just trying to learn here...

Thanks,
Rob A.
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Garykk Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Too much going on for me. The rock wants to fly by itself as well as the tree. Two positives make a ...well you know.

__gary

Garykk

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:19 am

I see that Juniper struggling to survive on a craggy cliff side...

Spectacular, Mike.

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:26 am

Can anyone tell me why the time stamp read "...Current date/time is Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:20 am..." when I posted (previous post) at 11:20pm?

The minds of the curious need to know...

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:42 am

bonsaistud wrote:Can anyone tell me why the time stamp read "...Current date/time is Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:20 am..." when I posted (previous post) at 11:20pm?
Because that's what time it was in the server's time zone.

If you tell the forum what time zone you're in, it'll display times in your time zone instead of the server's time zone. Click on "Profile", then "Preferences". Choose your timezone and click "Save".

Cliff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down