Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai School

+2
Mike Jones
Ian Young
6 posters

Go down

Bonsai School Empty Bonsai School

Post  Ian Young Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 am

Our club NIBS had Peter Snart of Willowbog Bonsai fame over to N.Ireland last November. After a night of late night wine drinking with him, chatting about the bonsai School with Marco Invernizzi at Willowbog, I slept on it and proposed that Peter could do something similar for us. Peter, as a student of Marco, has lots of valuable info to pass on to us and the same school format looked ideal.

We're isolated over here with very little in the way of access to outside guest speakers and bonsai suppliers. By combining both, we hoped to have Peter over 3 times each year. We decided to give it a go with visits in February, June and October this year. Any that know Peter, know he can talk Very Happy so a bonsai school, aimed at our big influx of new members over the last year, seemed like a perfect match up.

Our members have supported this well making it a viable option. Each of the weekends consists of a Saturday School Day and a Sunday workshop for 6 people. February's weekend was a great success for us and for Peter.

I've only just got around to sifting through some of the video that a member took at the school and decided that it might be an idea to add some of it to our You Tube channel. I have put 4 clips up covering Branch Structure, Pot selection, repotting and Nebari. These are just short segments of our day with Peter. They seem to have gone down well on another forum I use, so I thought I would share them here as well. I watch a lot of bonsai video online but most are just clips showing trees. These might appeal more to any beginners here on IBC. We have done this to promote friendship and learning within the bonsai community.

The video clips are basic and at times shakey. They are mostly unedited as Peter doesn't stop to draw breath. To start cutting bits out would have made them disjointed. There's a few comedy moments with Peter going off on a tangent and having a laugh with members, these have been left in for the craic value and are meant to be taken as such. I may even do a blooper/comedy reel later :-) Let me know what you think.

Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Bonsai School Empty Re: Bonsai School

Post  Mike Jones Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 am

Really good stuff Ian. One question; how long do these clips take to upload?

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks Mike,

Depends on your connection really. Uploading them onto Youtube can also depend on you tube as well. They take a while to process the clip checking for music track copyright stuff and creating a thumbnail cover. With my poor broadband connection each clip took about 60 minutes to get up there. One took a lot longer for some reason and one just flew up. I'm changing to fibre optic at the end of the year so about 5 minutes should do it then Very Happy
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 am

Excellent stuff Ian.

The camerawork needs a bit more practice, but the educational content more than makes up for this.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrey Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Part 5 ???????
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:07 pm

jeffrey wrote:Part 5 ???????

Maybe :-)

Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:55 am

To promote friendship and learning within the Bonsai Community!

Thank you NIBS, WILLOWBOG, Ian, Peter.... Thank you ALL!
I just watched all of the videos in one turn, one after the other.
So very instructive!
I just have to "clear" some points due to language but this is minor which can be met...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Yes, thanks to all concerned for the sharing of these enjoyable and educational videos. The section on root and nebari development was particularly interesting as it's not an area we hear about in as much detail as Peter gave.

Having spoken in public numerous times, I had to chuckle to myself as peter's carefully crafted narrative kept veering wildly off track, lol. I bet he spent hours writing up his notes until they flowed seamlessly from roots, through nebari, trunk and primary, secondary and tertiary branch formation.......only for it to go tits up before he got past the first paragraph, lol.

Mind you, as that's precisely how my brain works, I had no trouble at all following every word he said!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 pm

You think he made notes!! Razz Razz
He did make us handouts on all the topics covered. They are on our club website under the Bonsai Knowledge tab for everyone to use.

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. I'll make more of an effort with the video content in June's School. I'll have to stop Phil the cameraman zooming in on ear lopes and nasal hair affraid
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Part Five now on the You Tube Channel. This, and the next two are taken from the school workshop day, so are slight different from the previous ones. To aviod confusion anything that sounds like verbal abuse is actually banter/craic/good natured humour Laughing

Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:58 am

and six

Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm

That's it! Last one until the June School.

Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down