Big fat olive

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big fat olive

Post  PaulH on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Some friends and I dug a bunch of these olive stumps last year. This is one of the best I got. I just put it in a bonsai pot today.
These things grow like weeds! I flat cut the bottom of this with my chainsaw and in one year the training box was full of roots.
Paul

PaulH

Back to top Go down

Big fat olive

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:02 am

Hello Paul. Amazing how some trees can survive with such drastic treatment. Have you a close up of the reduction and hollow?

Back to top Go down

Re: Big fat olive

Post  Kev Bailey on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 am

You can click the thumbnail pictures above for a closer view Will.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Big fat olive

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:34 am

I did Kev but they're in deep shade.

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:12 am

will baddeley wrote:Hello Paul. Amazing how some trees can survive with such drastic treatment. Have you a close up of the reduction and hollow?
I am not gentle with trees at the beginning. My friend and early bonsai mentor George Yamasaki always told me "If you are going to kill a tree, do it now."
I'll post some close ups later. Sorry but I am terrible about photographing work in progress, so no early pictures.
Paul

PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:26 am

PaulH wrote:I am not gentle with trees at the beginning. My friend and early bonsai mentor George Yamasaki always told me "If you are going to kill a tree, do it now."

wow... very amazing fat!!

I'm not understand this > "If you are going to kill a tree, do it now." Rolling Eyes

regards,
Pongsatorn.K Very Happy

pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Big Fat Olive

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 am

pongsatorn.k wrote:
I'm not understand this > "If you are going to kill a tree, do it now." Rolling Eyes
regards,
Pongsatorn.K Very Happy
It's sometimes hard to understand sarcasm & irony in what is not your native language. I think he meant, don't be too careful in the original work on a tree. You might as well get it the way you want, even if it is risky. It would be much worse to nurse a tree along for years & then have it die on you. (Happens to all of us.)
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:43 am

bonsaisr wrote:
pongsatorn.k wrote:
regards,
Pongsatorn.K Very Happy
It's sometimes hard to understand sarcasm & irony in what is not your native language. I think he meant, don't be too careful in the original work on a tree. You might as well get it the way you want, even if it is risky. It would be much worse to nurse a tree along for years & then have it die on you. (Happens to all of us.)
Iris
Exactly right!

PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:09 am

PaulH wrote:
bonsaisr wrote:
pongsatorn.k wrote:
regards,
Pongsatorn.K Very Happy
Iris
Exactly right!

Thank you very much Iris and PaulH! Very Happy .

regards,
Pongsatorn.K

pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 am

Quite impressive !!
The material has many qualities to become a very impressive tree once it matures.

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm

I used to know a girl called Big Fat Olive, sigh.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Harleyrider wrote:I used to know a girl called Big Fat Olive, sigh.

darn it. I was going to post something like that. pesky mancs...

bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

You knew her as well then? Lovely lass, was Olive.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum