Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Ollie Yamadori

4 posters

Go down

Big Ollie Yamadori Empty Big Ollie Yamadori

Post  Brett Simon Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi IBC

This is a big olive that i dug up last year. It was flat cut at the base and planted into a large container. It sprouted well and has grown very well in under a year. There are new roots everywhere.
Here are some pics taken just after collection.
Big Ollie Yamadori P8160011
Big Ollie Yamadori P8160012
The main feature of the tree is the broken branch going to the left.
Big Ollie Yamadori P8160013
Big Ollie Yamadori P8160014

The main feature of the tree and the reason i dug it up was the fallen branch going to the left. It has a live vein running round it and growth has come on the end. At some point this tree was damaged and the branch broken, now healed and solid.
I reduced the tree some more after growth. Decided that there was just to much length on the two trunks.
Big Ollie Yamadori Img_1210

I had a rough idea in mind and decided i needed to get it down on paper.. One problem.. Cant draw at all.
A friend of mine and a fellow IBC member came round to my place and a day later sent me this.
Big Ollie Yamadori Big_ol10
I really like it and the main feature has been kept. Here is another one but with an apex deadwood coming above the crown.
Big Ollie Yamadori Img_1211

So what do you guys think? Any comments or other virus very welcome.
Good or bad let me know.

Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Big Ollie Yamadori Empty Olive

Post  lennard Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Brett Simon wrote:
So what do you guys think? Any comments or other virus very welcome.
Good or bad let me know.

Hi Brett.

(I don't think you need a virus! Razz )

I personally like the tree without the fallen trunk because it goes against the flow of the whole tree. The deadwood showing through the crown works for me - but again not the fallen trunk.

Regarding the health of the tree it would be best to let it grow wild for the next two years - place it in the garden somewhere out of sight so you don't get tempted to work on it. Placing it on the ground roots can escape and build the strength of the tree. When you cut it back then you will get a lots of lower buds popping.

Nice find and good luck on being patient.

Lennard

Last edited by lennard on Wed May 08, 2013 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Big Ollie Yamadori Empty Re: Big Ollie Yamadori

Post  tmmason10 Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm

I agree with lennard on the trunk looking a bit disconnected in the design, but I am convinced by the drawing what it may work. Man, I wish I could draw like that. Nice material.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Big Ollie Yamadori Empty Olive Yamadori first styling

Post  Brett Simon Thu May 09, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks Lennard, I am going to keep the fallen branch for now as it can be removed later if i feel it will not work.
I will let the tree grow freely now for a couple years.

Thanks Tmmason. I also agree to some degree with Lennard but will keep it and see if it works. I too wish i could draw like that. We have so much great olive material here.

Regards
Brett
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Big Ollie Yamadori Empty Re: Big Ollie Yamadori

Post  PROTONWIRA Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 pm

It is a very nice material. It looks very old indeed
Thanks for share
PROTONWIRA
PROTONWIRA

Back to top Go down