Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments

+14
Ferdie *
Harleyrider
nguyển thái lý
landerloos
trantanhung_nt
Todd Ellis
jrodriguez
Chris Cochrane
pongsatorn.k
Russell Coker
Khaimraj Seepersad
Milan Kulhavy
peterbrod
ogie
18 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Empty Re: Stone Appreciation for Your Comments

Post  ogie Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:13 am

Hello Ogie,
I will be very happy if you go back Vietnam and drop by see me. I live in Quang NAm province where there are two world heritages : Hoi An ancient town and My Son towers. When you plan to go back Vietnam,you can contact me at 01685379606.
Your friend
Thientrakieu.[/quote].

Thank you Thientrakieu,looking foward to Vietnam again
Your friend,
Alex/Ogie

ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Empty Re: Stone Appreciation for Your Comments

Post  ogie Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 am

Hello Yvonne,
Me too or maybe Old Bird Vulture and Pre-historic elephant like those at ICE AGE
Thank you my Friend,
Alex/Ogie Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Ogie... In your composition of three stones, I imagined three human figures. Two human figures express humility through bowing; the third human figure is both upright and bit comical with his exaggerated head & features.

My first thought was "the Vinegar Tasters (a.k.a., 'the Three Sours')" Buddha & Confucius are humbled in considering the worldliness of man who needs to control his nature-- life bears the sharp taste of vinegar. Laozi is unfazed by the sharp taste-- embracing nature is not to judge it.

I also thought of a scroll used in National Bonsai & Penjing Museum stone exhibitions which suggest a threshold between sitting stones and sitting men...(photo courtesy of the National Bonsai Foundation website, the scroll from my collection):
 Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Exh_yo10

When imagining images in groups, it is wise to consider displaying a full set... with caveats. A painting or screen might show two objects from a set of three, and an object on the display floor can complete the set.

In a famous set of screens by Maruyama Okyo depicting numerous 'dancing' (standing position) cranes, their bodies are so overlapped that they cannot be reliably counted. When this screen was displayed at the National Museum in Tokyo, you could count the legs under the cranes, and it appeared that there were seventeen, including some cranes standing on one leg. A very well-known guqin (musical) piece is entitled "Eighteen Scholars Ascend Yingzhou." Eighteen cranes ascending the cliffs of this mountain are seen in art which associates cranes with passing examinations. The flying cranes represent the first class of 18 scholars to pass the exam of highest scholarship at the Chinese Hanlin Academy. I thought to myself, the screen is really a disappointment to only show 17 cranes... :-(

Later, I thought of a host sharing the screen with his honored guest. A cultivated guest would note 17 cranes and, perhaps, imagine what it would be like to be the 18th crane. In alcove (intimate viewing) display appreciation, it is often the least obvious element which has the greatest resonance. Expect something barely noticeable & determine if it is resounding for you.

A weak image that resonates strongly is the most deeply felt. This is true for appreciation of less-than-fully representational suiseki, natural root sculpture & scholar's rocks, as well. Meaning & emotion are often veiled through metaphor using less-veiled metaphor for more public audiences.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 pm

If you have a bearded friend (or a friend on 'entry to' or 'retirement from' public service), you could display the three stones to him as "the Four Graybeards of Mt. Shang"... pale

From a summary of Kendall Brown's Politics of Reclusion:
The Four Graybeards are scholar-officials of the third-century BCE: Dongyuangong, Qili Ji, Jiaoli xiansheng, and Xia Huanggong. They reflect the Confucian ideal of reclusion in the mountains during an era of despotism, accordingly depicted by Japanese painters in pursuit of aesthetic pleasures. Such paintings were sold to officials leaving or retiring from public service. But the Four Graybeards returned to service in better times, and artists' depictions of their return are highlighted in gold and marketed to younger men entering service without a touch of idealism. The place of the Four Graybeards in Japanese painting seems straight-forward. (source: http://www.hermitary.com/bookreviews/brown.html)
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Empty C 3 buzzards

Post  stonener Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 am

Hey Alex,
Were I live there is a giant Eucalyptus tree were these large six foot wing span birds roost.
About 27 last count, they watch busy road for animals killed by drivers.
Always looking down, ready to devour anything possible. Your stone bring to mind hungry birds.
Yvonne use a small natural branch for her bird stone once, then even better one second time!
I can only imagine what your three birds would look like if carved into a tree branch as daiza?
After a storm, at the beach many limbs can be found for this... Basketball

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Black-12

Last edited by stonener on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add picture)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Chris...Once again thank you for the expounded interpretation,much appreciated and i will try to make proper presentation in the near future,i like what you have just said specially with the 17Crane...
So much to learn while in search for more lovely stones
Regards,
Alex/Ogie Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 am

Hello Stonener,
I hope i won't be at the end of those bird's meal :shock:Thanks for the insight
Your Friend,
Alex

P.S.
I will try to make a tree dai for the three to hang and see what happens...Soon to come, Thanks!

Last edited by ogie on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add words)
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Empty what I meant

Post  stonener Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:43 pm

No My Friend Alex!
Not hang, not tree, just sit on top of branch, as if looking down,
carve only small area so stones fit in branch, as if in daiza,
but only branch can be seen from side view, Nature look.
The placement you now have is perfect order,
just bottom of stones not seen, good luck! I know not easy... Suspect

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:30 pm

stonener wrote:No My Friend Alex!
Not hang, not tree, just sit on top of branch, as if looking down,
carve only small area so stones fit in branch, as if in daiza,
but only branch can be seen from side view, Nature look.
The placement you now have is perfect order,
just bottom of stones not seen, good luck! I know not easy... Suspect

Will do my best there my friend,thanks!

Alex Cool
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am

Hi....
Here is one of my picture stone,Do you see a Dragon or a Horse?How do you qualify it on what category.Thanks in advance for your comment
Regards,
Alex
[img] Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Img_2617[/img]
[img] Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Img_2618[/img]
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Ogie

I may be wrong..but your pretty cool stone, looks like it is marble, shaped by machine, it looks like a stone you can find i a mineralshop.
The daiza is very nice, and not like a daiza you find together with a stone I just mentioned...this is why, I may be wrong.
Please give more information if you have.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Yvonne,
No this is not a marble,the stone i found it on riverbank here,when wet you can see exactly what you see now,the stone is polish to take away its rough outer soft skin so that the true pictures comes out. thanks for your inquiry

Regards,
Alex/Ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Ogie

This is a very lucky find.....sometimes stones looks to good to be true.
A polished stone is called a biseki.
How big is the stone?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Empty Year of the Dragon

Post  stonener Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 am

Hey Alex!
If body and tail curve up around to the right side and over,
then a angry dragon can be seen coming out of a stormy,
cloudy sky, mean eyes and sharp teeth can be seen,
and spraying steam from nostrils, at top of head,
over right eye, curved end of horn can be seen,
figure has a slight yellow or pale red glow,
that adds caricature and symbolism ... Suspect

Last edited by stonener on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : +)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Ogie

This is a very lucky find.....sometimes stones looks to good to be true.
A polished stone is called a biseki.
How big is the stone?

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne...
Yes it's Biseki,the size of the Stone = 18cm in Diamter,so much to share with my new find
Thanks for the reply

Regards,
Alex/Ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Hello Stonener,
Exactly what i see too,Thanks for the appreciation

Alex Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Ogie

How about a eagels head?

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Img_2611

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Hello,
I was thinking of a eagles head to
but also of a giant dim creature of the other world.
Sunip Wink
 Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Untitl30

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:01 am

Hi Yvonne..Sunip
Thanks i was so addicted to Dragon but nice observation on both of you.
Regards,
Alex/Ogie Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Stone Appreciation for Your Comments - Page 8 Empty Eagle face on top of the Mongolia "Man face"

Post  Young Doan Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Alex.

After I observation I see Eagle face on top of the Mongolia Man face..thank you so much, See the attach with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzClfYV6WY&feature=related&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1
So powerful Stone Alex ! thumbs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5n_duH-e6E&feature=related&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Best Regards

Young

Young Doan

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Young,

Thanks for the added video clip,nice one there.
Best Regards,
Alex Very Happy
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8